UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Crispina

Painted portraits

This topic has surely been discussed before, but being a lazy newbie, I didn't search the archives. Why do we not see more painted portraits and murals of emperors and important officials? Because they are fragile they just didn't survive that long or were statues considered more "proper", ect? I've seen photos of grave masks and pics of graffitti. And were documents ever illustrated?

Paintings of emperors (such as that of Septimius Severus below) weren't unknown, but they don't survive very well over time under normal conditions.

severus_family.jpg

Although in this case the damaged face belongs to Geta, whose memory was erased in true roman fashion by his brother once he became top dog. This painting was vandalised soon after its creation and has actually withstood the ravages of time very well.

It was originally believed that the portrait ( seen in my avatar) was originally that of Valentinian III, his sister Honoria and their mother Galla Placidia. Now archaeologists believe that it is just a portrait of an ordinary wealthy family, dating back to the third century BC.

Galla_Placidia_(rechts)_und_ihre_Kinder.jpg

It was originally believed that the portrait ( seen in my avatar) was originally that of Valentinian III, his sister Honoria and their mother Galla Placidia. Now archaeologists believe that it is just a portrait of an ordinary wealthy family, dating back to the third century BC.

I have never seen pictures like these. Thanks for sharing.

What is written on the portrait?

Paintings of emperors (such as that of Septimius Severus below) weren't unknown, but they don't survive very well over time under normal conditions.

severus_family.jpg

What is Septimius and the lady wearing on their heads? Crowns or hats? I don't believe I've ever seen a Roman (or sculpture) with a hat.

I can only read "kerami" by deduction I think it refers to pottery( ?

I can only read "kerami" by deduction I think it refers to pottery( ?

Here's a start.

From the Article:

Jas Elsner briefly discusses the object in the introduction to Imperial Rome and Christian Triumph: The Art of the Roman Empire AD 100-450 (Oxford, 1998). In his caption, he writes (p. 22),