UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Europa Universalis Rome and Imperium Romanum

Primus Pilus

Found these upcoming games by complete accident while stumbling around on Amazon.

Europa Universalis: Rome

The popular historical strategy games that were previously set in the colonial period and in medieval Europe focuses it's attention on Rome...

The Publisher: Paradox Interactive

More Info at Gamespot

Amazon

---------------------

Imperium Romanum

Seems to be a sequel to the city building game "Glory of the Roman Empire". I don't think it met with much success, but never having played it, I truly have no clue.

http://www.imperium-game.com/en/

More info at Gamespot

Amazon

I downloaded the demo for Imperium Romanum--or, "Imperivm Romanvm" as the developers like to call it. Based on what little I could make from the demo, the developers' grasp of Roman life is disappointingly svperficial.

While you will find lots of V's for U's, you'll also find characters running around with names like "Cicero Julius" and "Caesar Tullius", poorly engineered aqueducts, and large numbers of publicly-owned slaves that scurry to build private dwellings for poor families. After some archers I trained (all native Roman, not even auxilia) defeated a tribe of Gauls that almost bested my hastati, I called it a night.

I downloaded the demo for Imperium Romanum--or, "Imperivm Romanvm" as the developers like to call it. Based on what little I could make from the demo, the developers' grasp of Roman life is disappointingly svperficial.

While you will find lots of V's for U's, you'll also find characters running around with names like "Cicero Julius" and "Caesar Tullius", poorly engineered aqueducts, and large numbers of publicly-owned slaves that scurry to build private dwellings for poor families. After some archers I trained (all native Roman, not even auxilia) defeated a tribe of Gauls that almost bested my hastati, I called it a night.

I always find myself surprised by this sort of errors. Sure, lots of slaves, the slave economy theory has been a thought to kill even within scholars, but Cicero Julius? They could at least use Wikipedia....

What part of historical correctness makes games bad?

• 2 months later...

Europa Universalis Rome has just been released a few days ago. I haven't purchased it or played it yet. The one review at 'Amazon UK' has given it a 3 out of 5, stating that several flaws in the game (especially in diplomacy and unit movement) make the game difficult to play.

Official reviews on the other hand seem to be very positive - IGN (one of the top game reviewers on the net) have given it a 8.7 out of 10 - an excellent score considering that benchmark titles such as Medieval II: Total War have recieved a 8.8 rating. EU Rome has also been awarded the IGN Editor's Choice Award.

Other reviews include -

8/10 - GameTap

3/5 - Gamespy

C/A+ - 1up.com

I might give this game a chance, but not in the near future. I'll probably wait till it ends up in the bargain bin.

I might give this game a chance, but not in the near future. I'll probably wait till it ends up in the bargain bin.

Smart move. This will give them time to patch the game and you can also see more opinions from the players community.

The Europa Universalis engine is getting a bit long in the tooth. Also, I hate to say it but... its a bit like Wargaming for Accountants. Still, if you have the patience, its a reliable system.

The Europa Universalis engine is getting a bit long in the tooth. Also, I hate to say it but... its a bit like Wargaming for Accountants. Still, if you have the patience, its a reliable system.

Actually, they've been moving away from that with the new engine. Both EU3 and EU:Rome don't have anything resembling the complexity of, say, Victoria. Too bad imo, and Rome will be the first Paradox game I'm not buying.

• 1 month later...

I have EU Rome now and I have to say after playing it through a few times its pretty good.

Its great strength for me is that you can re-create the rise of the Republic by conquering southern Italy/Sicily and then press on into Macedon and Spain. Carthage is reasonably well realised as well (even if the naval AI is poor). The middle east is less well realised with the Seleucids in particular being much too powerful. That said Gaul is well done with most of the tribes allied to each other. Technology is present although it

I bought EU today on a whim because I seriously needed a distraction ...

And I have to say I'm very disappointed and severely wish I had waited for the bargain bin. There are indeed considerable flaws, especially with unit movement.

I bought EU today on a whim because I seriously needed a distraction ...

And I have to say I'm very disappointed and severely wish I had waited for the bargain bin.

I will take on board all the sage advice thus far posted. I thought the screen shots were great and the building models were really good - although it has to be said, this game like all the others still hasnt got the concept of the large, sprawling house with peristyle / confluvium, covering an entire block. In the preview I was surprised to see the use of trebuchets in high medieval style, and groups of men milling around seemingly acting as aimlessly as confused ants.

Its a shame, because more attention to authenticity with the structures has been given than with other games, but other aspects of the game just put me off it. Bargain Bin it is, I think.

• 4 months later...