UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pompeius Magnus; part Gaul?

cornelius_sulla

He was from Picenum, which was settled by Gauls. He certainly looked more like a Gaul than a Roman. Was Pompeius Magnus of Gaulish descent?

He was from Picenum, which was settled by Gauls. He certainly looked more like a Gaul than a Roman. Was Pompeius Magnus of Gaulish descent?

No .. he was born in Rome the son of the soldier and statesman Pompeius Strabo. He was given the Title.. Magnus by the senate after his victorious campaign over Marius in Sicily.

I suppose there could be a very minimal chance of Gaulish descent but I doubt it very much (and I suppose we'll never know either) , Picenum had been a colony of Rome since it was conquered by them in 286 B.C. So by the time the Pompeia gens came to prominance they were most cetainly Italian.

HERE'S a family tree of Pompey, it only goes back two generations but I suspect thats as far as anybody knows, Plutarch's Life of Pompey

also gives no mention of his descent either.