UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Octavia

Jewish High Priest Annas

Hello all. I didn't know where to ask this question, but I always wondered who the high priest Annas was? Does anyone know anything about him? I did hear his daughter married ciaphas and he became high priest.

Hello all. I didn't know where to ask this question, but I always wondered who the high priest Annas was? Does anyone know anything about him? I did hear his daughter married ciaphas and he became high priest.

High Priest in Jerusalem between AD 6 -15. He and his family where members of the Sanhedrin in Jerusalem. The family of Annas , his five son

That sounds interesting. So how did caiphas become high priest? And what was Annas after his son in law was made that title?

Annas was appointed by Quirinius around AD 6 and deposed by Valerius Gratus in AD 15. Joseph Caiaphas was appointed by Valerius Gratus in 18 AD and removed from office around the year 36 AD by Vitellus Annas was influential far after his removal , in that his five son

So really, all Anna's five sons, one after another, became high priest? Still very interesting. So who was high priest after Ciaphas?

Annas and his family held the position. In 62 AD ; Annas the youngest son, took advantage of a hiatus in Roman rule to arrange the death of James , the brother of Jesus.

The annas house was considered a temple, and Jesus was even taken their before his execution by Roman and Jewish soldiers.

The annas house was considered a temple

Now that sure is news to me. You have any sources for that?

You may find the uniquely Johannine scene of the session at Annas' house ( 18:12-24)

also that Jesus was struck very hard for speaking to Annas sharply, ( v 22 ) and Jesus is brought to Annas' house ( v 12 )

Fact is the Annas house provided the many animals for sacrifices and Jesus' demands that this stop would have caused a large loss in sales to the sheeple. The Temple was the bank in those days and Jesus tried to halt the banks trading and sales. Result--- execution!

You may find the uniquely Johannine scene of the session at Annas' house ( 18:12-24)

also that Jesus was struck very hard for speaking to Annas sharply, ( v 22 ) and Jesus is brought to Annas' house ( v 12 )

Fact is the Annas house provided the many animals for sacrifices and Jesus' demands that this stop would have caused a large loss in sales to the sheeple. The Temple was the bank in those days and Jesus tried to halt the banks trading and sales. Result--- execution!

Yes, I'm aware of the passages quoted above. The session at Annas' house was held because the rules of the Sanhedrin forbade that august gathering to meet in the evening, meet on the eve of the Passover, meet in secret, and meet anywhere other than the Chamber of Hewn Stone. Hence the informal gathering at the High Priest's house which was essentially a pretrial session. I'm not sure that would qualify it as a temple though.

High Priest in Jerusalem between AD 6 -15. He and his family where members of the Sanhedrin in Jerusalem. The family of Annas , his five son

Annas was the Jewish priest whose family had the Romans take the blame for the murder of Christ.

Does this mean Rome would have embraced Jesus if Jews had no hand in this alledged, non-historical Gospel report - one must wonder what Rome would demand of a Jewish Jesus and how he would respond to save himself? My history research shows, of over a million Jews mass murdered without any trial, up to 800 cricifixions a day, including all the temple priests along with their families, they had no chance against Rome's heresy decree. Especially, one wonders if Jews alone were targeted for heresy in Rome's empire, and why Jews alone became so fastediously impacted by Rome's heresy decree in this 70 year war. It begs the Q: were other nations equally impacted by their then non-monotheistic positions at this time - did any reject sacrificing to Roman emperors and dieties for 2000 years before Rome emerged?

How much logical credence is evidential, viable or plausable of the Gospel claims from a historical POV, is the issue here.

This comment struck me as part of the basis for the ancient charge that the Jews killed Jesus and the 2000 years of persecution that followed.

Is there another example of a similar action by the Jews anywhere in history - before or after this report? The Jews have 55 prophets and every one of them are cherished and revered today, making this an incumbent historical question. While there is no question that Jews sniggering with beedy eyes over the death of another Jew, as per Mad Mel's Passion flick, even if they disagreed with his views, it is an evil deed unquestionably. But it happens to be most implausible and made wholly without any arms length whatsoever, written in Greek - then the enemies of the Jews, with not a shred of historical evidence of a single figure listed in the Gospels. Why did Europe, far away from the scene, accept this, is perhaps the greatest enigma in history.