UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Q.Lutatius Catulus

cornelius_sulla

Was the Quintus Lutatius Catulus who was in charge of legions against the Cimbri with Gaius Marius adopted out by the Julii?

No, Quintus Lutatius Catulus was not adopted from the Julii.

Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology doesn't make any mention of Catulus the consul of 102 BCE having been adopted from the Julii. Smith's does, however, cite Cicero as a source for mentioning that Catulus had a half-brother who was of the Julii, as their mother, Popillia, had married for a second time to Lucius Julius Caesar.

Additionally, M

I don't think so--why do you ask? Wait a second, what does "adopted out by the Julii" mean?

I ask because I recently read the series "Masters of Rome" by Colleen McCullough in which she portrays this particular Q.Lutatius Catulus as being adopted into the Lutatii from the Julii, and because I'm interested in the famous families and their intricate relations.

Sorry, I can' t explain 'what does adopted out by the Julii mean?' any more than that, and feel out of place trying to explain anything to a person with your understanding of Rome and its histories. Unless of course you're being facetious which is a distinct possibility, I guess.

Lady Nephele seemed to get it, though. Cheers, Neph.

I ask because I recently read the series "Masters of Rome" by Colleen McCullough in which she portrays this particular Q.Lutatius Catulus as being adopted into the Lutatii from the Julii...

Colleen McCullough wrote that Catulus had been adopted from the Julii? Hmm... I wonder what source she used?

I did a quick search for reviews of McCullough's book to see whether anyone else might have picked up on this, and came across this June 26, 2003 posting at the Ancient Worlds discussion board: An Error in McCullough

I haven't read McCullough's novel, but if she does refer to the consul of 102 BCE as "Q. Lutatius Catulus Caesar" then I can at least add here that nowhere in my copy of Broughton's Magistrates of the Roman Republic does the name of Q. Lutatius Catulus appear in that form.

-- Nephele

Sorry, I can' t explain 'what does adopted out by the Julii mean?' any more than that

Literally, "adopted out by the Julii" makes the Julii the agents of the adoption--as if the Julii had somehow kicked Catulus out of the family and found him a home among the Lutatii. That seemed like a far-fetched possibility, but I wasn't sure whether you noted the grammatical implication.

No, Marcus Porcius, I did not notice that grammatical implication. Thankyou for the heads up on this - I am always keen to learn more about these kinds of things and was not aware of my fault.