UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

ARA DI CESARA

dianamt54

In November my boys and I went to Italy. My mom was born and raised in Florence and she had an apartment for 3 months. We went for 10 days. We spent 8 days in Florence visiting relatives. and then 3 wonderful days in Rome. We walked to the forum and it was the highlight of my trip. We took a picture in front of the plaque. My mom transtalated it. So I will write it in Latin first and then the tralsation will follow.

DEPOSERO (LA SPOGLIA DI CESAR) NEL FORO DOVE E LANTICA REGGIA DEI ROMANI, E VI ACCVIARONO SORPA TAVOLE, SEDILIE E QVANTO ALTOR LEGNAME ERA LI...ACCESE RO IL FVOCO E TVTTO IL POPOLO ASSI STETTE AL ROGO E DVRANTE LA NOTTE IN QVEL LVOGO VENNE ERETTA DAPPRIMA VN'ARA, ORA VI E IL TEMPIO DELLO STESO CESAR, NEL QVALE EGLI E ONORATO COME VN DIO. APPIANO DI BELLO CIV II 48

Caesar

The deification of Roman emperors was actually pretty common. Most were not deified while they were alive (I do believe that there were laws against this in Rome proper...however many were "worshiped" in the provinces regardless). However many emperors were worshiped after their death, and quite a few have temples built to them. I think there were one or two who were in fact worshiped during their lifetime (was it Nero? Or Caligula? or both?).

The worship of deified emperors was incorporated into the Cult of the State, the "official" Roman cult. (There were many "cults" in Rome. The word did not have the negative connotations that it does today. There was the Cult of the State, the Family Cult, the Cult of Mithras, etc...)

Julius Caesar was in fact one of them. :)

The deification of Roman emperors were common but only after death (in the east they were consider even in life) Julius Caesar was the first person who were deified in Roman history, what intresting about his deification is that it's was initiate by the people and only after were adopted by politicians like Pseudo-Marius and Octavius.

Caesar wasn't the first deified Roman. Romulus was deified first (Plut. Rom. 27, 28; Liv. I.16; Cic. de Rep. II.10). Among other deified Romans were Augustus' wife Livia, Nero's wife Poppaea, Antoninus' wife Faustina, and Hadrian's lover-boy Antinous. What merry pantheon they would have made with Caesar as their Jove!

EDIT: Or would Caesar play Ganymede to Antinous' Jove?

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

Caesar wasn't the first deified Roman. Romulus was deified first (Plut. Rom. 27, 28; Liv. I.16; Cic. de Rep. II.10). Among other deified Romans were Augustus' wife Livia, Nero's wife Poppaea, Antoninus' wife Faustina, and Hadrian's lover-boy Antinous. What merry pantheon they would have made with Caesar as their Jove!

Romulus wasn't exaclty an historical figure.

Had to get your stab in at poor dead Julius. MPC will be rolling around giggling here in a couple of weeks...

In any event, the deification of Roman rulers who were not totally despised became common practice.

Therefore the famous Christian phrase "Render onto Caesar that which is Caesar's and render onto God that which is God's" would not make sense to a patriotic Roman.

In November my boys and I went to Italy. My mom was born and raised in Florence and she had an apartment for 3 months. We went for 10 days. We spent 8 days in Florence visiting relatives. and then 3 wonderful days in Rome. We walked to the forum and it was the highlight of my trip. We took a picture in front of the plaque. My mom transtalated it. So I will write it in Latin first and then the tralsation will follow.

DEPOSERO (LA SPOGLIA DI CESAR) NEL FORO DOVE E LANTICA REGGIA DEI ROMANI, E VI ACCVIARONO SORPA TAVOLE, SEDILIE E QVANTO ALTOR LEGNAME ERA LI...ACCESE RO IL FVOCO E TVTTO IL POPOLO ASSI STETTE AL ROGO E DVRANTE LA NOTTE IN QVEL LVOGO VENNE ERETTA DAPPRIMA VN'ARA, ORA VI E IL TEMPIO DELLO STESO CESAR, NEL QVALE EGLI E ONORATO COME VN DIO. APPIANO DI BELLO CIV II 48

Caesar's body was laid in the Roman Forum where the ancient seat of the Roman power resided. There the Roman people gathered tables, chairs and any other type of wood that they found. They lit the fire and all the people witnessed the burning of the fire during the night .In this place they built an altar and then a temple to the same Caesar IN WHICH HE IS NOW HONORED AS A god.

Here it is in it's full glory.....

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1659.

Thanks for the translation.

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Caesar

Caesar

Romulus wasn't exaclty an historical figure.

Having declared the 'freedom of the Greek' at the Isthmus Games in 196 BC, T. Quinctius Flamininus became the first 'historically-viable' Roman to receive godlike honours (in Chalkis). Although this was merely an extension of the Hellenistic practice of ruler worship