UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ursus

The Other Bolyn Girl

I'm debating right now whether I'll see it now, or wait for it to come to video. The thing is, I've seen many a documentary on the time in question, and have read a bit about it...and it doesn't hold much interest for me. Henry VIII was an interesting character, but his grandfather, his father and his daughter are more interesting to me (especially Queenie).

I just might see it for lack of anything else on. I can't imagine the local hicks will swarm the theatre for it - maybe I'll have the theatre to myself.

Well, it wasn't great but I suppose it was entertaining. Most of the time I was just thinking that these are modern people in costumes acting out a Hollywood interpretation of history. The audience was mostly couples, many older, and single females. No discernable hick-ery.

Overall, I think I'd rather watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for the -th time.

The TV play of The Other Boleyn Girl was excellent. Jared Harris (son of Richard) played a very calm, cultured and distant Henry VIII so it was an unusual portrayal.

I do hope Hollywood have not ruined yet another historical film.

Henry VIII has been making a bit of a come back lately. I've never understood why all sixteenth century dramas have to concentrate on Tudor England. It would be nice to have one that looks at the European incursions into the Americas, or the life of Emperor Maximillian or King Philip II.

I'm guessing that Billy Shakes has something to do with it...although to be fair, I spend most of my time reading Spanish literature from the 12th-16th century myself.

Well, it wasn't great but I suppose it was entertaining. Most of the time I was just thinking that these are modern people in costumes acting out a Hollywood interpretation of history.

You never spoke a truer word! Especially if this is anything like the UK TV version. I can remember watching that and thinking what a waste of the talents of the cast! Really superb actors, forced to work with what amounted to dross, really. But then, I am not a fan of Philippa Gregory's work. However, I do happen to know that the UK TV version had the actors improvise their own script from a framework of the novel.

Does anyone know if that is true of the film?

I saw is, and I was a married woman by myself. Anyway, I liked it. I went there in my mind that it is just a movie, and of course historical license was taken. The costumes were outstanding. Eric Bana, good looking as ever!

I think the Showtime mini-series has helped make Henry VIII and his times popular. Again, I have to keep in mind that it is just a tv show, but I do like it. Sam Neil, in the first season was outstanding. JEREMY NORTHAM as Thomas More is good also, even though he wrote an awful story about Richard III.

MARIA DOYLE KENNEDY as Katherine of Aaragon is probably the best actress on the Tudors. Anne Boylen played by Natalie Dormer is ok, but I can't figure her Anne Boylen out.

And finally JONATHAN RHYS MEYERS, good actor, intense, but not the stature of Henry VIII, Eric Bana has the stature.