UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
longshotgene

Where do you see Latin today?

I was thinking. Were do we see Latin every day? I used to smoke back when I was in high school. I loved smoking Marlboro Reds. Then I noticed the cigarette companies were bastardizing Julius Caesar. If you don't believe me, look at a pack of Marlboro's the next time you pass a tobacco store or gas station. Also, if you smoke Pall Malls, they are found followers of Constantine. But where else do you see Latin subliminally?

As someone who never smoked, can you elaborate for me on the connection between these smoking products and Roman rulers?

I looked for an image of one of the ciggie packs. Okay, now I get it. At least the Constantine reference for the Pall Malls.

PALL%20MALL.jpg

-- Nephele

Well I don't know about everywhere else (I hope I'm not hijacking the thread now), but in Sweden we have at least a dozen companies with Roman names, those are some I can remember at the spot: (My translations will most likely not be very accurate since my Latin isn't that good and it's going Latin -> Swedish -> English)

Felix (Happy)

Domus (Home)

ProViva (The company translates it as "For life", I reckon it would be something like "For the female life" since it's an feminine declination.)

ProCivitas (The company wants it to be translated as "For the state" but I believe that it wrong.)

Other common words, that most people know of, are:

Video (I see)

Audio (I hear)

Volvo (I roll)

As someone who never smoked, can you elaborate for me on the connection between these smoking products and Roman rulers?

As a reformed smoker, I can clarify part of that :ph34r: . The Marlboro pack has "Veni, Vidi, Vici" on the front.

Oh, interesting.

My college diploma is written entirely in Latin, for what its worth. Even has Summa Cum Laude on it.

Latin is common in many corporate company business names or products:

Sony (sound)

Magnavox (a great voice)

Pablum (a baby food of the past

Edited by Faustus

'INVICTA' was a common product name in 50's and 60's England. They made toys.

Here are a couple major examples of how Latin is incorporated into American government:

The Great Seal of the United States which can be seen most commonly on our paper money and includes:

E pluribus unum - Out of many, one (also included on our coinage)

Annuit Coeptis - He approves our undertakings (from Vergil)

Novus Ordo Seclorum - New order of the ages (also from Vergil)

Many US State Mottos

Latin is also commonly used as filler text on print material mock-ups. As an example... a graphic designer might design a brochure for a client not knowing what the ultimate text content of the item may be. In order to show how the graphic design with the appropriate text will look, Latin is generally used as the sample. See attached .pdf

DEC_newsletter_layout_2.pdf

When the president of the USA gives the state of the union address, he stands on the Rostra.

Latin is also commonly used as filler text on print material mock-ups. As an example... a graphic designer might design a brochure for a client not knowing what the ultimate text content of the item may be. In order to show how the graphic design with the appropriate text will look, Latin is generally used as the sample....

Yeap, it's Cicero's de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum. Find it HERE!

Latin is also commonly used as filler text on print material mock-ups. As an example... a graphic designer might design a brochure for a client not knowing what the ultimate text content of the item may be. In order to show how the graphic design with the appropriate text will look, Latin is generally used as the sample....

Yeap, it's Cicero's de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum. Find it HERE!

Ironically, the production of the Lorem ipsum text is known as greeking.

I've heard the reason why Malboro chooses to put the "veni, vidi, vici" on its packs is to show how, they have conquered the world through ther cigarettes. And it really seems to have reached every corner of the globe.