UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kieronus

ROME the FILM is being planned?? So says Ray Stevenson (Titus Pullo)

As a great fan of the first series and as a:

Liker :Dloather :angry:engrossed :ph34r:indifferent :huh: , viewer of the second,

This comes as interesting news.... Ray Stevenson has spoken in an interview of discussions under way for a ROME feature film.

Click the link below:

Rome the Film!

dated 28th of Feb 2008, so it has been recently considered...

:o

Edited by Kieronus

Meh. A big screen treatment of Pullo and his bastard son? The Vorennus children struggling without their father? A still living Atia coping with the loss of control over her family?

No thanks.

Meh. A big screen treatment of Pullo and his bastard son? The Vorennus children struggling without their father? A still living Atia coping with the loss of control over her family?

No thanks.

Well, I'll watch it, but I am afraid I won't like. A couple hours of suspending reality won't kill me though :ph34r:

However, I will keep my fingers crossed that Bruno Heller writes the screenplay.

Well, I'll watch it, but I am afraid I won't like. A couple hours of suspending reality won't kill me though :huh:

However, I will keep my fingers crossed that Bruno Heller writes the screenplay.

That's what I am hoping for, Bruno Heller having creative control.

If you look at the episode lists on wikipedia, he wrote eight of the first series yet only 2 episodes of the second season and boy did it show.

The second season was a mess, the first two episodes got off to a good start but with so many writers trying to stamp their mark on the show it was bound to go pear shaped. To many sub-plots that went nowhere, pointless one dimentional fictional characters, too much shock and shlock tele-soap nonsense. The whole jewish sub-polt was pointless and silly, the pap with Agrippa and Octavia and little silly things that irritated like Pullo keeping the fellow in the cage, Octavian becoming a odd vacant weirdo, Atia not dieing, and of course the entire waste of time Vorenus' family fued.. blahhhh If I wanted to watch domestic disputes I would watch bloody eastenders. :ph34r:

After the second episode, I would have loved to have seen Vorenus stay on as a feared senator in Rome whilst Pullo became slowly involved with the gangs. The two of them friends still, finding themselves being drawn to the two opposing sides of the gulf between Antony and Octavian.

They could have worked all manner of historical truths in and around it, it would have been marvelous.

Alas, no. It was almost as if HBO wanted to sap the life from the show.

I digress...

If Heller makes it, I'm all for it...

if it's anyone else however... :angry:

Maybe, just maybe, it will be set in a different time frame, allowing for a fresh start with one man in the driving (writing) seat.

EDIT: Found some more info: LINK:CLICK HERE

Edited by Kieronus

No thanks.

The fate of Lucius Vorenus is still unclear. If the contract is able to be signed, he will have survived.

Despite the historical inaccuracies, the series generated interest in the Classics. That is always good.

My concern is "what time frame would the movie deal with?" Marc Antony is dead. The succession issue was already dealt with in "I, Claudius." The Pax Augusta might not make for exciting viewing, but any movie that strives for at least a semblance of historical accuracy will hold my attention.

guy also known as gaius

Vorrenus didnt die on screen as has been noted above, McKidd and Stevenson arent a pairing that any commercial producer would really want to break up.Shame alll the heavyweight actors died off due to historical accuracy.

Holy crap. This is truly a creature spawned from the depths of popularism and the craving for more money.

Holy crap. This is truly a creature spawned from the depths of popularism and the craving for more money.

Pecunia non olet--et pecuniam perdat stuporis.

Anyway, why assume the series will take us into I,Claudius territory? Maybe it will be a prequel.

Anyway, why assume the series will take us into I,Claudius territory? Maybe it will be a prequel.

A prequel would be nice, but, I don't think a movie could do our favorite period justice. There's simply too much meat to fit on the sandwich.

Thanks for that extra link Kieronus. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but it sounds as if they may rehash some of what's already been done, perhaps in an effort to appeal to a large audience than that of HBO only. Perhaps not.

In any case, it certainly sounds as if Heller will be intimately involved. Would be nice to hear from him.

A prequel would be nice, but, I don't think a movie could do our favorite period justice. There's simply too much meat to fit on the sandwich.

Maybe they could focus on the events surrounding the Catilinarian Conspiracy--it provides a nice foreboding of conflicts to come, with all the major players still on hand (Caesar, Servilia, Pompey, Cicero, Cato, etc).

I watched the TV series because it was a novelty to see something about Rome set in ancient Rome made with todays technological bells and whistles. I found the characters Pullo and Vorenus entertaining in a blokey kind of way, but as for the rest of it, what a bloody dogs dinner. I wouldn't be too keen to pay money to go to the flicks and have my historical senses assaulted. Bleecch.

A pre-quel would be cool. Make Patrick Stewart as Caesar and all is forgiven. (Hinds did a decent job, but Stewart would be better).

Patrick Stewart better than Hinds!?

Man, do we disagree!

I'm not holding my breath waiting for this. Virtually every defunct HBO project has been rumoured to be in the pre-production phase of a full length movie. DEADWOOD, The SOPRANO'S and now ROME. Not one of these films has materialised.