UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kieronus

ROME the FILM is being planned?? So says Ray Stevenson (Titus Pullo)

Patrick Stewart certainly looks like Caesar, and with his Shakespearean training, he'd probably be a great one too. Still, it's hard for me to imagine a better portrayal than Hinds'.

BTW, Stewart's previous role in Julius Caesar was as Cassius:

Caesar.jpg

Oh, men - you are sadly lacking some feminine input here :(

Although I admire the acting of both Hinds and Stewart, if I were to put my hand on my heart, I would willingly go to see Patrick Stewart acting in a pathetic horror B-movie just as the man who speaks two lines and dies. The man oozes ..... well, he just oozes. And I could listen to his voice all night - even if he were reading the dictionary. But you see - Paddy is a northern lad - being born in Yorkshire (Spittle take note - lol) from whence all good things come. You can hear this in his vowels, no matter how much of a Shakespearean gloss adorns his speech.

Sadly, I joke - for even if Patrick were cast in the movie of Rome, I doubt I would go to see it, having had a bellyful of the TV version. Which prompts me to ask - what new insight would the film version bring to events?

For what it's worth - I am in the camp of Hinds admirers as far as portrayals of Caesar goes. I thought he had it spot on.

A pre-quel would be cool. Make Patrick Stewart as Caesar and all is forgiven. (Hinds did a decent job, but Stewart would be better).

Now that would make me feel strange.. Too much Picard in him for me :P

Anyway, why assume the series will take us into I,Claudius territory? Maybe it will be a prequel.

A prequel would be nice, but, I don't think a movie could do our favorite period justice. There's simply too much meat to fit on the sandwich.

Maybe they could focus on the events surrounding the Catilinarian Conspiracy--it provides a nice foreboding of conflicts to come, with all the major players still on hand (Caesar, Servilia, Pompey, Cicero, Cato, etc).

I kinda think my namesake would provide veritable feast of scandal, lust, violence and hypocrisies to appease any 21st century audience!

I agree with most of you when you state that there would be to much to cover to do any of our Romanophile-esque expectations justice. If a movie is made that doesn't at least halfway stick to the true history of Rome, it will be to me just another Gladiator. Full of blood, awesome camerawork and bullshit. I don't think I could handle that..

I'm watching the series and I find them entretaining until now (ep.9, s.I) despite being innacurate. It's funny to see that the plot it's moving further away from reality as it goes on. Egyptians generally and the doped Cleopatra are hillarious and so is the too-wise-for-a-child Octavian.

The main problem it's that they tried to fit a large time span with complex action and lots of side actions in the short time of episodes. And the Vorenus family problems are worthy of a south american soap opera. The attempt to show the life of common people largely failed. And no battle scenes!?!

Maybe a movie can be more focused and give better and more accurate detail. Maybe...

:hammer:

HERE YE HERE YE

Here be NEWS on the possible film and from Heller (the creator) himself this time:

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2008/12/04/ro...-silver-screen/

He also confirms why the 2nd series lacked so much compared to the first.

"I discovered halfway through writing the second season the show was going to end," Heller said. "The second was going to end with death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine. But because we got the heads-up that the second season would be it, I telescoped the third and fourth season into the second one, which accounts for the blazing speed we go through history near the end. There's certainly more than enough history to go around."

B)

Edited by Kieronus

I'm not necessarily sorry the series ended before we got to see Titus Pullo bump into Jesus Christ.

Even if the second season was rushed, it still suffered from bad history and bad writing. Any movie better do better.

I'm not necessarily sorry the series ended before we got to see Titus Pullo bump into Jesus Christ.

Oh, the possibilities... Caesarion (Titus Pullo' son...) escape to Judaea, fall in love with Marriammne and the couple...oh...nevermind

Maybe it will help Mr. Stevenson forget his role as the Punisher.

Seriously though, if Heller is involved throughout the process, I have hopes that the movie could rekindle some season 1 interest. Then one never knows what that might lead to.

They would really have to pull their socks if they were going to pursue a movie and get serious about the story they set out to tell and not the 13 that they thought would be more popular. And maybe I'm the only one but some more story line and less extended shots of naked bodies would be nice. I want to watch the story Rome, which they did exceedingly well, not a prono-combo film.

But it is time that Hollywood was shown how to make a good ancient history film again. They have insanely short memories.

I would welcome a Rome film. The only question is, what would characters like Titus Pullo do in the film?

Would such a film depict the battle of the Teutoberg Forest? If so they'd have to recast Augustus as Simon Woods would be too old.

According to this story, the script is in full development, with an eye to a 2010 release date. My hopes are for a prequel to the first series. Otherwise, they can't bring back Vorenus and Cato, my two favorite characters.

According to this story, the script is in full development, with an eye to a 2010 release date. My hopes are for a prequel to the first series. Otherwise, they can't bring back Vorenus and Cato, my two favorite characters.

You are right, a friend told me two weeks ago that Ray Stevenson had confirmed that they were doing the Rome Film. He showed me a similar website.