UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I'm sure there is a section or clipings of how a funeral happens but i kind of need it all in one nice chunk. I haev listed the scenario and some info (i don't know if its of any worth but it might help in anyones explanation).

Scenario: 2nd century bc (about 150 ish)

Senator has died

He is wealthy

Has a wife and one parent (no siblings)

He is a fictitious character but i have modelled him on 'real' romans

He is obese by our terminology

a step by step guide would be great bt anything at all would be much appreciated.

vtc

Okeedokee - whilst I'm certainly no expert on roman funerals, as I understand it something like this happens.

The parent (male?) is the household master and therefore makes the arrangements for the funeral. He ensures the will is read (it may have been read already as a courtesy to his friends and relatives whilst the guy was still alive). Inevitably some of the mans slaves are given manumission and there's going to be some deals done with these new freedmen to keep them within the family so to speak. The freedmen may well be given duties to perform regarding the funeral. The body is left in state for a few days for those wishing to pay respects (yes, the modern day funeral is a hangover from our pagan past) and the father will be offered commiserations and compliments on his sons achievements, and therefore may well be present for some time. Finally, there is a procession in which the dead man is given a reclining pose, to show him at peace, and he is laid to rest in the grave - again much like today.

If anyone else knows better please feel free.

When the Roman died at home surrounded by his family, it was the duty of his oldest son to bend over the body and call him by name, as if with the hope of recalling him to life. The formal performance of this act (conclāmātiō) he announced immediately with the words conclāmātum est. The eyes of the dead were then closed, the body was washed with warm water and anointed, the limbs were straightened, and, if the deceased had held a curule office, a wax impression of his features was taken . The body was then dressed in the toga with all the insignia of rank that the dead had been entitled to wear in life, and was placed upon the funeral couch (lectus fūnebris) in the ātrium , with the feet to the door, to lie in state until the time of the funeral. The couch was surrounded with flowers, and incense was burned about it. Before the door of the house were set branches of pine or cypress as a warning that the house was polluted by death. The simple offices that have been described were performed in humble life by the relatives and slaves, in other cases by professional undertakers (libitīnāriī), who also embalmed the body and superintended all the rest of the ceremonies. Reference is made occasionally to the kissing of the dying person as he breathed his last, as if this last breath was to be caught in the mouth of the living; and in very early and very late times it was undoubtedly the custom to put a small coin between the teeth of the dead with which to pay his passage across the Styx in Charon's boat. Neither of these formalities seems to have obtained generally in classical times.

For more info on what happened next including the funeral procession and oration and what happened at the tomb etc take a look HERE

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

The body was then dressed in the toga with all the insignia of rank that the dead had been entitled to wear in life, and was placed upon the funeral couch (lectus fūnebris) in the ātrium , with the feet to the door,

Now this is fascinating and echoes something I brought up on another forum regarding modern funerals in England. The deceased is ALWAYS carried feet first into the church, feet first out of it... and laid feet first in the hearse. I have never received a satisfactory answer as to why this is - so I wonder if it is a tradition from our pagan/Roman past?

The tradition is even present in the old saying (at least here in the North of England) of 'They'll have to carry me out feet first' - meaning that he would need to be dead before he would allow whatever...

Can anyone come up with the reason for this?

The body was then dressed in the toga with all the insignia of rank that the dead had been entitled to wear in life, and was placed upon the funeral couch (lectus fūnebris) in the ātrium , with the feet to the door,

Now this is fascinating and echoes something I brought up on another forum regarding modern funerals in England. The deceased is ALWAYS carried feet first into the church, feet first out of it... and laid feet first in the hearse. I have never received a satisfactory answer as to why this is - so I wonder if it is a tradition from our pagan/Roman past?

The tradition is even present in the old saying (at least here in the North of England) of 'They'll have to carry me out feet first' - meaning that he would need to be dead before he would allow whatever...

Can anyone come up with the reason for this?

A reason I've come up with is that a coffin is always carried feet first, as a man always walks feet first. It is also a superstitious belief that the soul might be tempted to look back.

Not sure how much truth is in this but I suppose it can be a pretty believe reason :P:P

Is it true that a type of urn or something was placed half-buried in th eground and wine was poured in as akind of offering? If not i don't know where i got that from.

Were there tombstones? What did they say?

Was the body enclosed in a coffin?

Were there speeches at the funeral?

Who could attend?

Who was prayed to?

ty in advance

vtc

Is it true that a type of urn or something was placed half-buried in th eground and wine was poured in as akind of offering? If not i don't know where i got that from.

Were there tombstones? What did they say?

Was the body enclosed in a coffin?

Were there speeches at the funeral?

Who could attend?

Who was prayed to?

ty in advance

vtc

If you take a look at the link I supplied in an earlier post(3) you'll find an answer to most of your questions.

Not so sure about the pouring of wine into the ground though?