UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
dianamt54

Greatest Roman Figure??

I am still an infant in learning about Ancient Rome and Republic Rome. For some reason, I do love Caesar, again, I am still learning about him. I do think (my opinion) is that why Julius Caesar is so well know throughout Rome is because of his murder. People have been fasinated by the fact that Brutus was on of the murders. He was almost like a son to him. How could Brutus do that to his father figure?People all over the world love a martyr and that is the way they see him. Maybe that is why I like him.

Can we combine all the important men in Rome and make up a name for him?

Obviously, I like Sulla. He was a ruthless bastard and I like that in my egomaniacal tyrants. I also admire L. Quinctius Cincinnatus for completely different reasons although I think that much of his story was convenient Roman propaganda.

BUT! To answer the question, I agree with my friend dianamt54 - Caesar hands down. People these days identify him with Rome and he stands head and shoulders above all the other famous Roman historical figures when it comes to 'greatness'.

I am still an infant in learning about Ancient Rome and Republic Rome. For some reason, I do love Caesar, again, I am still learning about him. I do think (my opinion) is that why Julius Caesar is so well know throughout Rome is because of his murder. People have been fasinated by the fact that Brutus was on of the murders. He was almost like a son to him. How could Brutus do that to his father figure?People all over the world love a martyr and that is the way they see him.

Caesar, because he is the one figure which captures the imagination of the whole public

Besides his life, we know so much about his death, and the events leading up to it, and little of his dreams:

Edited by Faustus

Sorry but I have to disagree, to me Caesar is extremly overrated: I don't think that his conquest of Gaul produce much good for Rome, after all what could Rome really get from a bunch of primitves Gauls?

As a politician Caesar was a utter faliure, unlike Augustus, he didn't know how to appease the senate and kept insulting them (even when this wasn't necessary) and thus inflame the opposition to his rule. and while he himself was relatively moderate no doubt that his destruction of the Roman republicanic system and one man rule set the foundation to the rise of tyrants like Caligula and Domitianus.

Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus.

Other than that, Scipio Africanus should be admired. While his name is known he it not nearly as associated with the greatness of Rome as he should be (especially in comparison to the common awareness of Caesar and the emperors who followed). Scipio was not only perhaps Rome's greatest general, but was a respectable politician and a conscientious Roman who, and unlike Caesar, retired to private life at the end of a long and storied career (though clearly in the face of extreme political drama).

Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus.

Scipio was not only perhaps Rome's greatest general, but was a respectable politician and a conscientious Roman who, and unlike Caesar, retired to private life at the end of a long and storied career (though clearly in the face of extreme political drama).

Like Primus, my thoughts first went to Cincinnatus whom I personally admire most, but even in Cincinnatti, Ohio a citizen can't likely go into just any restaurant and order up a "Cincinattus Salad", although probably every school child there knows who he was (and the motto "Juncta Juvant").

Faustus

I am also a novice when it comes to Ancient Rome and the figures within it, but I've always been partial to Cicero. Though he may be criticized indefinitely for one might call cowardice, no one can deny his legal and oratory skills. Hands down one of my favorite historical figures, not only in Roman history, but Classical History period.

Scipio Africanus should be admired.

I think I'll change my plea. Africanus was truly a Roman of the Romans and he defeated Hannibal and the Carthaginians who I consider Rome's greatest enemies. He was a man of great culture and a warrior without equal. He had his own Cato to contend with. In comparison to Africanus, after some forethought, Caesar seems less of a patriot.

Marcus Regulus. Returning to Carthage to torture and death because of a oath, that's to take promises seriously. Somehow the event and action always struck me as truly honorable.

Define "Great". There are many, Africanus, Cicero, Marcellus (The Sword), Nero (Metaurus), Augustus, ...etc

However, there is only one man the average person in the street could probably name. For good reason too!

I have always been a Caesar fan, and agree that he is probably Rome's most famous son.

More and more, as I read and study his life, Africanus is becoming my favorite Roman, though.

Caesar certainly is the most famous Roman ever among the general populace, and a gifted man in his own right. But most famous isn't necessarily the greatest. As far as political organization, Augustus and Constantine set the tenor for the early and later empires, respectively. It is hard to think of more far reaching political visionaries.

Caesar certainly is the most famous Roman ever among the general populace, and a gifted man in his own right. But most famous isn't necessarily the greatest. As far as political organization, Augustus and Constantine set the tenor for the early and later empires, respectively. It is hard to think of more far reaching political visionaries.

To be fair to Caesar though, Augustus and Constantine had much a longer time at the top to be able to shape the republic/empire into how they thought it should have been. Caesar had his own idea's and ambitions for the future of Rome but unfortunately he was unable to fulfill them.

As for the greatest Roman figure?? That's debatable, we will always argue the for's and against's of that question, but he is most certainly the greatest known Roman figure. I think that's something that we can all certainly agree on.