UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Do you play a sport?

Yesterday I took part in a 'friendly' game of Rugby League (an offshoot of Rugby, more brutal) against a visiting club team from Australia. They needed a warm up match before taking part in a tournament. One of my cousins was in the visiting team, so I thought 'what the hell'. Maybe I'd get a chance to smash him.

Well, the friendly soon went out the window and before you know it, the game has gone gladiatorial. We were out for each other's blood. One of their guys went to hospital with a severe concussion. One of our guys wont be playing again for the rest of the season, on account of his being responsible for sending his opposite to hospital with severe concussion. He copped a three match ban. Then, my cousin starts a fight with our halfback, who is half my cousins size. There was an all in brawl after that and I got sent off along with my relative! I was nowhere near the fight and I wasn't even supposed to be playing! I was a ring in. My cousin and I retired to the bar early and had a laugh about the whole thing. Their coach was livid, even moreso after he realised that my cousin and I thought it was all a big joke.

Afterwards we all made friends and had a beer (except for their coach - he was a lemon the whole night) in observance of a peculiar rugby/rugby league tradition - what happens on the field stays on the field.

I love sports.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I took part in a 'friendly' game of Rugby League (an offshoot of Rugby, more brutal) against a visiting club team from Australia. They needed a warm up match before taking part in a tournament. One of my cousins was in the visiting team, so I thought 'what the hell'. Maybe I'd get a chance to smash him.

Well, the friendly soon went out the window and before you know it, the game has gone gladiatorial. We were out for each other's blood. One of their guys went to hospital with a severe concussion. One of our guys wont be playing again for the rest of the season, on account of his being responsible for sending his opposite to hospital with severe concussion. He copped a three match ban. Then, my cousin starts a fight with our halfback, who is half my cousins size. There was an all in brawl after that and I got sent off along with my relative! I was nowhere near the fight and I wasn't even supposed to be playing! I was a ring in. My cousin and I retired to the bar early and had a laugh about the whole thing. Their coach was livid, even moreso after he realised that my cousin and I thought it was all a big joke.

Afterwards we all made friends and had a beer (except for their coach - he was a lemon the whole night) in observance of a peculiar rugby/rugby league tradition - what happens on the field stays on the field.

I love sports.

Nice. I had broken my ankle playing tennis, so it should be easy to understand why I played rugby only once. Still, it is a great game.

Mate, tennis is hard! New Zealand boys didn't used to get a choice about playing Rugby. But tennis, now there is a game that demands skill. I'm useless at it, but wouldn't admit it to anyone out loud.

Mate, tennis is hard! New Zealand boys didn't used to get a choice about playing Rugby. But tennis, now there is a game that demands skill. I'm useless at it, but wouldn't admit it to anyone out loud.

Which code do you prefer Cornelius, League or Union?

Coming from the home of the current World Club Champions, the Leeds Rhinos, I'm obviously a fan of Rugby League. IMO it's by far the better of the two codes, it's much quicker, skillful, technical and a lot more easier and enjoyable to watch.

Which code do you prefer Cornelius, League or Union?

Coming from the home of the current World Club Champions, the Leeds Rhinos, I'm obviously a fan of Rugby League. IMO it's by far the better of the two codes, it's much quicker, skillful, technical and a lot more easier and enjoyable to watch.

I like League, definitely, but I don't play it anymore because I'm too old and league is freakin' brutal. I'm a massive fan of the Warriors. Ali Lauititi and Brent Webb are going well, eh? I'm still pissed that our club let them go. And the Kiwi's coach, too! Bluey is a gem. I think we've got one of your boys down here now, Ian Henderson, a hooker. I was bought up playing the game, so I agree with all of your assertions regarding league; Rugby isn't even that much fun to watch anymore, even with the new experimental rules.

I'm stoked at the moment, The Warriors beat Parramatta.

I was secretly glad the Rhinos beat the Storm. The comments of their players in the media were arrogant; the storm needed taking down a peg or two.

Do you play any sport, Gaius Paulinus?

Edited by cornelius_sulla

I like League, definitely, but I don't play it anymore because I'm too old and league is freakin' brutal. I'm a massive fan of the Warriors. Ali Lauititi and Brent Webb are going well, eh? I'm still pissed that our club let them go. And the Kiwi's coach, too! Bluey is a gem. I think we've got one of your boys down here now, Ian Henderson, a hooker. I was bought up playing the game, so I agree with all of your assertions regarding league; Rugby isn't even that much fun to watch anymore, even with the new experimental rules.

I'm stoked at the moment, The Warriors beat Parramatta.

I was secretly glad the Rhinos beat the Storm. The comments of their players in the media were arrogant; the storm needed taking down a peg or two.

Do you play any sport, Gaius Paulinus?

We've got a big New Zealand influence at the Rhinos, as well as the two that you mentioned who by the way are top quality, Brent Webb is one of the best full backs around. We've also got Clinton Toopi and Kyle Leuluai. Not forgetting our Coach and your former national coach, Brian McClennan.

I was at the World Club Challenge Game. your right, the Storm were full of themselves and I'm glad we smashed them and took the title.

My first sport of choice is as I said in an earlier post, football. I've lived and breathed it since I was small, I still play pretty regular but it's getting harder and harder to keep up with the young ones :thumbsup:

Toops and Kylie! I forgot about them. Toopi is from my home town and was always going to be a good one. I couldn't believe it when they were let go. And the biggest loss, Bluey McClennan. See how the Kiwis fared last year in the Blighty? A direct result of letting Bluey go. And then, salt to the wound, The Rhinos come up leaps and bounds. Go the Rhinos!

I hear what you're saying about keeping up with the young'uns. I'm seriously considering taking up soccer now but ego won't permit me. I still like to delude myself that I can foot it (but reality begs to differ).

How did your beloved Leeds AFC do this season? Any Russian billionaires on your club's horizons?

Edited by cornelius_sulla

How did your beloved Leeds AFC do this season? Any Russian billionaires on your club's horizons?

Unfortunately not my friend, just a miserly old santa lookalike Who isn't prepared to part with any of his cash in order to get us back where we belong.

After a promising start to the season, looking like certs for promotion we hit a brick wall and have slowly started to slide down the league. We're now just outside the play off spots and the way we're playing at the moment I'll be surprised if we make them.

Yet another disappointing year as a Leeds fan. :(:thumbsup: .

Leeds are a massive club with a massive following and there's plenty of billionaires out there just dying to invest in football so if you know any, point them in our direction will you !! :lol:

Ave

I don't know if this would be classified as a sport but I have been into bodyweight culture for a while now. For those that don't know, this is a physical exercise culture that emphasizes the use of one's own bodyweight for workouts. Simple push ups and sit ups are an obvious example, but there is a lot more to it. I am very happy with the results attained and the best part of it is that I don't have to waste time and treasure going to and from gyms. I really recommend this for anyone interested in physical culture and general fitness.

I played rugby twice at University. The first time I cracked a rib. I then waited for six weeks, went out and played again. Cracked the same d*&%$d rib! No more rugby - it's too dangerous!!

I now play footbal (the English version!) every Wednesday and am tryiung to find a team to play for at the weekends. Soccer is the game of the Gods and I've been kicking a ball since I was two. Hopefully, I'll still be doing it on the day I pop my clogs!!

PS. Don't waste your sympathy on Leeds fans: they've got a big club and know that they'll soon be back in the Premiership!

I'm a Burnley fan. We need the Russian multimillionaire, not Leeds!! :thumbsup:

PS. Don't waste your sympathy on Leeds fans: they've got a big club and know that they'll soon be back in the Premiership!

I'm a Burnley fan. We need the Russian multimillionaire, not Leeds!! :lol:

And here's me thinking we were mates !!!

You can stick your Belisarius book up your a***!!! :(

No offence but Burnley will never be a big club, the potential just isn't there, it's a small town club with a small albeit loyal fan base, Burnley are in the best position they've been in for years, they're playing good football at the right end of the league. I think you should just enjoy it while it lasts and leave the big time dreaming to us big city clubs with big fan bases who if given the opportunity of getting back into the premiership could actually survive and prosper.

But who am I kidding!! At the moment you've got the better football team so I'll just shut up! :thumbsup:

No offence but Burnley will never be a big club, the potential just isn't there, it's a small town club with a small albeit loyal fan base, Burnley are in the best position they've been in for years, they're playing good football at the right end of the league. I think you should just enjoy it while it lasts and leave the big time dreaming to us big city clubs with big fan bases who if given the opportunity of getting back into the premiership could actually survive and prosper.

That's exactly what I mean!! :thumbsup:

We could easily get 20-25,000 fans at Turf Moor, but that's not enough to take us to the level of Liverpool, Chelsea - or Leeds! The only reason you are where you are is because of financial mismanagement. We are where we are because it's as high a position as as we can realistically maintain.

All you need to get back up is good management, both on and off the field. What we need is a millionaire that can bankroll us!! Unless Owen Coyle can amke a difference!!

Having said that, it's too easy to go down the Liverpool route and get a financial team that can't work together!!

Edited by sonic

At the risk of losing hard earned friends, I am an Arsenal supporter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they not the team everybody loves to hate?

Moving right along.

The New Zealand Sevens Rugby team took out the Hong Kong sevens tournament on the weekend, whipping Fiji in the semi and our traditional foes South Africa in the final. Needless to say, my country hit the bottles! This is the first time we've won Hong Kong since 2001. There is a World Cup but Hong Kong still remains the big one.

For those of you who have watched the 15 man game and been confused (I've been a fan all my life and I'm still confused some of the time) check out the abbreviated form, sevens. It's a hard fast game with lots of big hits and sharp breaks and a lot less rules to interrupt the flow. Check it out!

Yeah! I'll go with that!