UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Faustus

Crane Falls in New York

The highest accident rate at construction sites occurs on Fridays, when the most

That crane accident sounds like a Friday job, alright. It happens too often in the building industry - some guy/woman is in a hurry to get to the bar and doesn't complete their job properly. I check up on my boys regularly and haul them back to the site if they've not done their job properly. It's a pet hate of mine, especially on a Friday. Just do your freakin' job properly!

But it must be so much worse when there is loss of life that could have been prevented by simply being thorough in your work.

That crane accident sounds like a Friday job, alright. It happens too often in the building industry - some guy/woman is in a hurry to get to the bar and doesn't complete their job properly. I check up on my boys regularly and haul them back to the site if they've not done their job properly. It's a pet hate of mine, especially on a Friday. Just do your freakin' job properly!

But it must be so much worse when there is loss of life that could have been prevented by simply being thorough in your work.

I hold no brief for construction workers in general record of site safety nor am I in a position to say who was responsible but some facts have emerged about what happened. The reports that reached here were that the crane was being used on a multi-storey apartment construction and being jacked up to allow a section to be fitted in, lifting it into a higher position to work on the next levels of the construction. BTW I also saw a newspaper article which cited the accident as happening just after 2.00pm so it wasn't exactly the end of the day.

Extracts from the BBC news article point out that:

"...the crane had broken during a routine operation to extend its height, by inserting a section and raising its top part... "

"..a piece of steel fell and sheared off one of the ties holding the crane to the building, causing it to detach and topple..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7299007.stm

And:

"...The crane, which stood 19 storeys high, was being used in the construction of a new high-rise apartment building..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7299650.stm

Whatever the cause it is not something that anyone wishes to see happen so those involved have my sympathy.

That crane accident sounds like a Friday job, alright.

BTW I also saw a newspaper article which cited the accident as happening just after 2.00pm so it wasn't exactly the end of the day.

Extracts from the BBC news article point out that:

"...the crane had broken during a routine operation to extend its height, by inserting a section and raising its top part... "

"..a piece of steel fell and sheared off one of the ties holding the crane to the building, causing it to detach and topple..."

And:

Whatever the cause it is not something that anyone wishes to see happen so those involved have my sympathy.

The accident occurred Saturday afternoon, which is

Edited by Faustus