UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe

I've read a few of the Sharpe stories, but it was quite a while ago and there are so many Sharpe books that I couldn't tell you which ones. I like the way they were written, but they were quite 'samey' - the two I read were not all that distinguishable from each other. As for the historical accuracy, I couldn't comment, not being all that knowledgeable about the era. Sharpe is a good character for the lads I reckon.

Women want him, men want to be him.......Its all been done before but this time it's during the Napoleonic wars.

I have not read any but have been known to pass an hour watching it on TV. Personally I prefer Hornblower which is Sharpe at sea but the tri-cornered hats make for much better viewing.

• 3 weeks later...

I read a few of them, and they were very good although I prefer Mr. Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy - a series of books that attempts to establish a historical Arthur. They are very well written; evocative of the Dark Age period as well as exciting. Bernard Cornnwell himself acknowledges them as his best books.

The Sharpe TV Movies weren't half bad either. They seem to be constantly repeated on satellite Television.

Edited by DecimusCaesar

I've read them all, up to the one where Napoleon dies and Sharpe goes to Peru(?). It's been a while, however, and I feel no urge to go back and revisit them. Hornblower and Aubrey have more staying power.