UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Adelais Valerius

Who would you like to meet most?

it would be trajan from the start of his reign i'd tell him not to bother venturing further into parthia because i will tell him where the spices are located and the routes to get there and how to make silk. i will make him a map of the world. The wealth and gold of rome will n longer drain out of the empire since they be making these items themselves and would no longer need to import from the east except for spices.

I would tell him to make an expedition into the spice islands in indonesia and make an outpost there as well also in india and arabia to secure the spice routes. But i would never teach him about gun powder or other advance technology as it would ruin the beauty of history.

Edited by Fulminatrix

Firstly I would talk to Caesar, and see what he thought on some particular issues, and I would also try and talk to Pompey and discuss his battles and Crassus to see his views on Spartacus and how he beat him. I would want to talk to all famous generals from Rome and other famous figures.

I think I would like to get drunk with Trajan first and then go forward to see Antoninus Pius just to see first hand what kind of a ruler he really was

Well, if we can tell people things, and not just ask questions, I would tell Caesar to beware the Ides of March.

And who knows? Maybe I already did.

I'd also be tempted to tell Publius Quinctilius Varus that he might want to send out some scouts.

Tacitus.

I'd have just one question. 'Can you start reciting your Historiae from book 5.27? Keep going until we've filled in all the gaps.'

I would love to meet Tiberius Gracchus, he was a major part in a unit I studied this past semester and I just couldn't help but feel sympathetic for the guy! I'd at least settle for Doctor Who to go back and maybe give him a warning, though I doubt he'd listen! I just totally revealed how much of a nerd I am, didn't I?

I would want to speak to Caesar and Octavian/Augustus.

I would ask Caesar what his motivation was for dismantling the Republic? Was it based solely on personal greed or were there other factors?

I would ask Octavian/Augustus to elaborate on how exactly the 'Republic' functions when one man is permanently Princeps, and how this is different from being a King?

And if the Republic is 'restored', then shouldn't Consuls rule and the people elect their magistates etc?

I would ask his thoughts on having tax paying citizens properties illegally taken away from them without compensation?

And what his thoughts are on allowing Cicero to be murdered?

Assuming of course I could quickly escape back to the present!

Edited by Lex

i wouldn't neceessarily want to talk to some person but more strolling around and observe the common people. buy some food at a tavern. and of course since i'm doing gladiatorial re-enactment go to a ludus and see if our reconstructions of weapons and armor and the pairing of gladiators are correct. watch their training and trying in the evening the infamous gladiator porridge. would it really taste that bad as the recipe i tried out? preferably i would visit the rome of the 1st century ad.

I wouldn't mind having a chat with crazy old "Little Boots" just to see if he really was mad as a box of frogs, or just had a really wicked sense of humour??

Who knows maybe he'd even let me have a trot around on Incitatus? Riding around the forum on the back of a Consul, now that would be fun wouldn't it!!! :lol:

Empress Theodora,

Augustus's poor maligned daughter - Julia.

Seneca- to see if he is really like his letters.

Marcus Aurelius - just because.

I guess there is a plethora (??) of people I would like to meet.

I would love to have a round table with Aristophanes, Catullus, Ovid, Martial and Juvenal. I don't think I would say much, just listening would be enough!

Having a sit down with Publius Clodius and Fulvia to try and get into their head

And how can you talk history and not want to spend at least a few minutes with Jesus! B) Who cares about opinions, he would have to be a very fascinating conversationist.

I'd like to meet Livy:

"We've done a poor job of preserving your history books. Can you fill in the gaps for us?"