UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Adelais Valerius

Who would you like to meet most?

New to the forum.

There's three people I'd like to meet.

1) Gaiseric, Rex Wandalorum. I'd love to sit down and get an idea of how his mind works, of how a barbarian king managed to amalgamate all of the Vandals and remaining Alans and ship them across to Africa to establish the first barbarian kingdom outside Europe. I'd also like to watch as he put a stranglehold on the last remnants of the Western Roman Empire and held the entire mediterranean to ransom. I would like to get the real image of him, not one you'd get from the biased rantings of Victor of Vita or the completely lost and confused record of Gregory of Tours.

2) Trajan. I'd want to ask him how he took control so well, stablizing the Empire and solidifying support behind him. I'd ask him what the motivation was behind the invasion of Dacia, and his policy of tolerance towards Christianity. I'd mostly like to be there to watch him enter Rome on foot for his procession. Also, I've often wondered if Trajan's death might have been hastened by Plotina to ensure the ascension of Hadrian. Strokes can be caused by a lot of things, or stroke-like deaths. It'd be interesting to there to see if there's any actual basis for that.

3) Julian the Apostate. I'd want to talk to him about his thoughts on the plausibility of a pagan revival, as well as an accurate account of the Mithraic cult. Additionally, I'd get his viewpoint on his family, and specifically his personal opinion on Constantine as a man who claimed to be Christian but still used pagan iconography in his new capital.

Edited by Gaiseric

Claudius, the only member I know of the Julio-Claudian dynesty to have known them all, although he did not see Nero as emperor for obvious reasons he was close enough and in an excelent position to know all the key characters in this family which firstly started and then confirmed the continuation of imperialism. The only question that I would have for him is.............

What happened from begining to end?

Well, that would be nice.

I would like to meet several.

For starters: Catullus and ask him what kind of music or musician he like to compose to his lyrics "Soles occidere et redire possunt",

because it must be the best love-song ever.

And then, travelling back in time 300 years to Quintus Sulpicius, what did he reply to Brennus "Vae victis quote" when he went home?

I'm curious. Was this the start of defending-by-striking-first, what led to the expansion of the empire?

Then 800 years forward to the marriage of Galla Placidia and her Visigoth lover in Narbonne, her stay in Barcelona and follow her back

to Ravenna ending up in Rome. Tell me about your adventures, starting in exotic Constantinople. Did she felt to be a Roman princess

or a Visigoth queen, or a pre-modern European when I tell her what the European Community is about.

And to ask her what she think about secularism in modern society and diversity of religion which still set fire to conflicts, as she tend to

tolerate different opinions about christianity side-by-side in Ravenna. In times of turmoil........

Did she knew or could predict what would happen in the next couple of years?

Jeroen de L' Ange,

The Netherlands

Catullus and ask him what kind of music or musician he like to compose to his lyrics "Soles occidere et redire possunt",

because it must be the best love-song ever.

That poem would make an amazing song.

`So many interesting people to meet and have a wine with them - at the equivalent of a pub...

What I would love to do is spend some time in someone's home - and observe family life - watch what's cooking in the kitchen , walk around the garden, go shopping, ....visit a temple or two and go see some chariot racing

And if I could hear Cicero speak - now that would be the highlight of my trip back in time!

I would like to meet Cincinnatus - watch him while his son is on trial and exiled and then hear him when this same society calls to him for help. I wonder what he really said!!!