UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
M. Porcius Cato

Free Roman Books

There's a new service from Wowio.com that allows users to download books for free. The selection is limited but a few title on Rome are available, including:

Rupert Matthews

Susan Raven

Michael H. Dodgeon and Samuel N.C. Lieu (Eds.)

Geoffrey Greatrex and Samuel N.C. Lieu (Eds.)

Gwyn Morgan

Rachel Dickinson

Mark Morford

Jane F. Gardner

AWESOME!!! thank you!

It would be awesome, but no downloads to merry england! We english are most put out. It just isn't cricket. Gentlemen, its time to throw a tantrum :lol:

It would be awesome, but no downloads to merry england! We english are most put out. It just isn't cricket. Gentlemen, its time to throw a tantrum :lol:

Make that two tantrums!!

MPC:

Have you read any of these? Any recommendations?

G

It would be awesome, but no downloads to merry england! We english are most put out. It just isn't cricket. Gentlemen, its time to throw a tantrum :)

Make that two tantrums!!

Make that Three!! :angry:

I'd quite to take a look at 'Being a Roman Citizen' and I'm sure my daughter would like the 'Kid's guide to History and Science of Ancient Rome'

This site is aptly named. "Wow" indeed. Signed up last night and got my first downloads. Good find, MPC!

Luckily I have Rome in Africa - very good indeed, and some good illustrations. Maybe some of our American friends could download these books into a file and email it to their poor cousins? :D

EDIT: I can now download them.

Edited by Northern Neil

Awesome! this is great! :D

They've changed the site now. You're able to open up the book for free on the internet but you have to pay a fee to download the PDF file.

They've changed the site now. You're able to open up the book for free on the internet but you have to pay a fee to download the PDF file.

Of these books, I know Susan Raven's one well - it has some excellent site plans, and I keep looking at the inside and back pages where there are some very good maps.

I still think 'The long year 69 AD' is the best treatment of the year of the four emperors, but if there's another up for free, in terms of value for money that's hard to beat.

Geoffrey Greatrex is immensely knowledgeable on the late imperial East, and I've on occasion been able to pick his brains for help and advice. Not just a top scholar, but a nice guy and a mean tennis player.

The Jane Gardner is one of the best treatments around on the topic, though I still think that she tends to infer too much from modern society and assume that 'of course' it was so also in the ancient world. We've crossed swords over, for example, the power of the paterfamilias, which I think she greatly understates.

Now if you will excuse me, I'll get back to online reading of The Roman Eastern Frontier and the Persian Wars AD 226-363 ...

Excellent find Cato, though do excuse me for hoping that this free book idea doesn't become too prevalent!