UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Did Alexander the Great kill priests at Persepolis?

Ave

I was watching an old programme hosted by Leonard Nimoy titled "Mysteries of the Pyramids" in which the narrator states that Alexander actually massacred priests in Heliopolis and Persepolis. I was rather startled when I heard that. The burning of Persepolis isn't news to me, of course, but slaying local priests is completely unlike Alexander. IIRC he was trying to placate and win over the Persian populace after conquering them. Any input on this one?

Ave

I was watching an old programme hosted by Leonard Nimoy titled "Mysteries of the Pyramids" in which the narrator states that Alexander actually massacred priests in Heliopolis and Persepolis. I was rather startled when I heard that. The burning of Persepolis isn't news to me, of course, but slaying local priests is completely unlike Alexander. IIRC he was trying to placate and win over the Persian populace after conquering them. Any input on this one?

Was it "In Search of"? My impression of the show had always been that the basis was generally some far-fetched alternative history theory intermixed with some well placed realism. Was this the episode that tries to explain the pyramids as shelters against some great end of world cataclysm rather than tombs for the pharaohs?

In Michael Wood's 'In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great' he mentions talking with modern Zoroastrians in Iran. One of the men tell Mr.Wood that Alexander burned their holy book 'The Avesta' but makes no mention of him killing any priests. Then again, I'm not entirely sure if Alexander burned the Avesta. That itself might be a myth.

In Michael Wood's 'In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great' he mentions talking with modern Zoroastrians in Iran. One of the men tell Mr.Wood that Alexander burned their holy book 'The Avesta' but makes no mention of him killing any priests. Then again, I'm not entirely sure if Alexander burned the Avesta. That itself might be a myth.

Maybe Captain Kirk did it with a phaser?

Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor, not an archaeologist.

[My apologies for this off-topic, and hopelessly geeky diversion]

Maybe Captain Kirk did it with a phaser?

Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor, not an archaeologist.

[My apologies for this off-topic, and hopelessly geeky diversion]

I recently saw a clip from William Shatner's Alexander the Great TV-show of the 1960's. Very cheaply done - I think you can buy a low priced DVD from Amazon or other internet sellers.