UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I find it interesting that both Caesar and Augustus had only one heir each and only daughters. Caesar did a least have a natural heir, his great newphew.

I think that Augustus used Julia to beget heirs. Since he couldn't. He married her off as soon as one husband died. In the end, he didn't have any natural heirs.

Julia just rebelled, in the only way she knew how. Get back at daddy by using sex. What other rescourse did she have?

That a very modern view you have on Julia, infact I don't think her life course was any diffrent from any other aristocratic woman, it's was usuall for a woman to merry young and ofen her husbands were much older then her.

As for Augustus heirs, he actually had many (his nephew Marcellus, son in law Agrippa, grandsons-adopted sons Gaius and Lucius) they just all died before him so Tiberius were left the only worthy succesor.

There are two ways to look at Julia. Either she was an idiot and got herself used by unscrupulous men eager for pillow talk about Augustus, or that she was acting deliberately in a shameful and spiteful way because her public duty as Augustus's daughter had caused her too much unhappiness. Julia as a political rebel is a bit hard to swallow, but I suppose there is a possibility of it.

Julia as a political rebel is a bit hard to swallow, but I suppose there is a possibility of it.

Sorry, Calders - I'm sure I've been through this before on the Forum. I find it as easy to swallow as a double whisky and dry. She was plotting - no doubt about it. ;)

Our heritage is and will Roman Citizenship the unity of the Roman people and the  centrality of Rome in Roman life.

Imperium Romanorum is a challenge to understanding complex phenomena, rights, philosophy, peace and war.

The Constitution of the Imperium Romanorum.pdf

Edited by Miloslavius