UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
dianamt54

New Zealand

In my opinion, the better question is... what don't governments want to control? Every new uncontested method of control restriction of personal liberty breeds more government dependency. It ensures the status quo as regards the ruling class and preserves their positions of authority and privilege. While there may be some who honestly think they are trying to help people, ultimately I find it impossible to believe that the bureaucratic establishment truly cares about our health as individuals...including what we eat, smoke, drink or otherwise shove into our various bodily orifices.

Don't confuse government which should be the citizens protection against predatory and outright fraudulent practices of corporations. As flawed as they are today we seem to forget the reason the FDA, USDA and similar government agencies exist( hint sinclair lewis). If they become controlled by the very interests they were created to regulate then there is a problem (and there is a problem). Sawdust in your milk? maggots in your beef ? Trichinosis in your pork? don't see that much anymore. I think some peoples ire is misdirected

. If a company could sell you a drink with an ingredient that would kill you in 29 years and get away with it they would. We need more and non political regulation not less. .If you want to sit on your porch with a 4-10 loaded with lead be my guest, just let me fish through on your creek please.

I didn't confuse anything. I said "government" and I meant "government". Simply because some government controlled bureaucratic agencies do serve some practical purposes does not mean these are not more methods to control it's citizenry. Such agencies also approve chemical ingredients which were hardly ever meant for consumer consumption. Again, I am not suggesting the lack of practical value to the citizenry, but banning butter while approving chemically produced margarines and other alternatives does not leave me with the impression of an agency truly looking out for my best interests.