UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kristian D'Amato

Ancient Fortifications

Hi all, first post here, and a request!

I'm trying to create a collection of European city/town maps during the Roman era. Till now, I've only found a select few (obviously Rome and a couple here and there), and I'd like to have as many as possible, preferable during the mid-Republic phase but really anything would do, as long as we're talking Roman era. To be honest I'm mostly interested in the lines of ancient fortifications (city walls i.e.), as can be established through archaeology or ancient accounts, so I'm fine with city wall maps. Even hypothetical plans would do.

I've already posted the same question in romanarmy.com and I've no idea which other forums I can try. If anyone can point me to a website or a book that contains collections of such plans/maps I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks, in advance.

a very good source is an old book ( dating from around 1900 ) on roman fortifications in gaul, with plans of all city walls known then and also some engraving of walls still standing at the time or little before. It is mainly imperial walls since in Gaul was conquered in the 50's BC but there are some earlier walls and also comparisons with other places.

a very good source is an old book ( dating from around 1900 ) on roman fortifications in gaul, with plans of all city walls known then and also some engraving of walls still standing at the time or little before. It is mainly imperial walls since in Gaul was conquered in the 50's BC but there are some earlier walls and also comparisons with other places.

Perfectly what I need! Any idea what's it called? Or any related info.

Thanks

Hi Kristian , welcome to UNRV.

This site has loads of maps that may be of use to you.

http://intranet.dalton.org/groups/Rome/RMaps.html

Hope it helps.

That is a great resource and many thanks for it! But I couldn't find fortification plans.. The strange thing is that the lines of ancient walls are usually known to some degree or other, so someone is bound to have written about them collectively.

Haverfields book (itself now somewhat ancient) Ancient Town-planning (1913) as it includes mention of several Roman period towns, even if the maps are incomplete, may be of some comparitive if not historical interest. It is available online at this link:

http://socserv2.mcmaster.ca/~econ/ugcm/3ll...ownplanning.pdf

Haverfields book (itself now somewhat ancient) Ancient Town-planning (1913) as it includes mention of several Roman period towns, even if the maps are incomplete, may be of some comparitive if not historical interest. It is available online at this link:

http://socserv2.mcmaster.ca/~econ/ugcm/3ll...ownplanning.pdf

Yes, found it yesterday. Thanks for that anyway.