UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

They're at it again..

P.Clodius

Being of French descent myself, I have some sympathy with the French MP who brought this up. Although English is my first language, I feel uneasy about its steady seepage into other languages. I do not like monopolies in any facet of life, as they tend to displace smaller competitors, resulting in cultural impoverishment.

Being of French descent myself, I have some sympathy with the French MP who brought this up. Although English is my first language, I feel uneasy about its steady seepage into other languages. I do not like monopolies in any facet of life, as they tend to displace smaller competitors, resulting in cultural impoverishment.

Well that's one of the great things about english, it integrates and fuses. Sheeit, I'll bet at least a quarter of the words in the english language are derived from french, so quit crying frenchies...I lived in France, I speak the lingo, I served in her armed forces, but lets face it, it ain't a french world, and when you try to legislate as Mitterand did the banning of common usage english words such as "parking" and "weekend" in everyday french then you're just trying to plug a leaking dam with your finger.

I don't like the attitude behind this absurd defences of a language. There were times when anybody of notice in Europe spoke french like Frederick the Great or the russian aristocracy, but those times are gone. I love french despite forgetting most of that language because I had no use for it.

All europeans should keep there languages but should also know english. I had some hillarious moments in Spain when the waiter was explaining the menu by making muuuuh like a cow. Unfortunately even the words that represent animal sounds are different. Of course, if he said spanish "vaca" would have been almost like in romanian (they pronunce "baca" while in romanian it's with "v") but it was much funnier that way. He took a bow and made horns while emitting a loud "muuuuh" in the middle of the restaurant :lol:

"Sebastien Tellier's entry, entitled Divine, combines both English and French lyrics with electro music."

Whatever language it's in, it seems to have been recorded in 1982.

I was thinking that, too, after watching that brief video. Really, it almost looked to me like a male (?) singer's version of Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun".

-- Nephele