UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Incense

As my OWN incense collection has grown considerably (hehe) I got to thinking: what types of incense was used in Roman times?

I'm guessing Frankincense and Myrrh were commonplace. What of different herbs, spices, resins?

Was it ever used outside of religious practice? (I'm aware that incense was burned as an offering, but was it used in other ways as well?)

As my OWN incense collection has grown considerably (hehe) I got to thinking: what types of incense was used in Roman times?

I'm guessing Frankincense and Myrrh were commonplace. What of different herbs, spices, resins?

Was it ever used outside of religious practice? (I'm aware that incense was burned as an offering, but was it used in other ways as well?)

If there was no good method of "neutralizing" the odors from their fullery process, incense would've been a way of masking those smells.

Just as in the 'seventies' if you came into a room where strawberry incense was being used, you knew right away, those kids had been up to something. ;)

Faustus

Edited by Faustus

ROTFL you know, I was in the house of someone who smoked pot...and I couldn't smell it. He had his supplies right there, too. I couldn't smell a thing. He said he could, but I couldn't (and I have an oversensitive sense of smell, too.)

Well, I ALWAYS add a little Sandalwood oil. It is quite gorgeous, and for me, it really evokes old Rome. Of course, this may be totally wrong, but I just love the mixture of Frankincense and Sandalwood.

Edited by The Augusta