UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Faustus

Old Book for interested party with German Language skills

I have an old book in all German text in Old English font. I'd willingly give it to anyone with a genuine interest in having it, except for the cost of postage. I originally bought it because it had some Latin footnotes and quotes from Virgil and Horace as well as Greek Homeric references. I think it may be a treatise on the ancient poets and the value of their work.

It seems to have been authored in part by Kritische Walder and It has an 1821 introduction first and then a 1769 introduction which I think was also the year of the author

Edited by Faustus

A quick read ( without looking into my dictionnary ) tells me it's a book called "critical forests" by Herder, on fine art and litterature, 4th edition, published with permission of the Great-Duke reigning Baden at the time and supported by the association for the knowledge and the art of the beautifull. The first edition was printed in 1767 and contains among other various recomandations by the author to Goethe, to whom he was a teacher.

A quick read ( without looking into my dictionnary ) tells me it's a book called "critical forests" by Herder, on fine art and litterature, 4th edition, published with permission of the Great-Duke reigning Baden at the time and supported by the association for the knowledge and the art of the beautifull. The first edition was printed in 1767 and contains among other various recomandations by the author to Goethe, to whom he was a teacher.

Thank you for your generous help Bryaxis!

Goethe you say? Interesting . . .

Faustus

Please tell me how much it will cost to mail it to Massachusetts. If it aint too much, I will have you mail it to my illustrious Teutonic Father-in-Law. You know that you will get a check from me.

Edited by Gaius Octavius