UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dianamt54

Favorite Episode or Scene in HBO's Rome

One of my favorite scenes is when Marc Antony presents himself at the House of Brutus after Caesar's assissination. He is so polite and in good cheer. Antony says he is going to serve out his term as consul and then retire, like Cincinnatus, grow crops and do my slaves. "I am through with politics, you play to rough for me, knives in the senate, I didn't think you had it in you". Servilla then asks if they could have some time to think about it. Antony says "take all the time you want, I'll wait outside". To me, that is so funny. Brutus and the gang were probably expecting a couple of days, and Antony is waiting outside for the answer.

Edited by dianamt54

Two favorite moments, both in GLADIATOR:

I understand the complaints about authenticity, and accuracy. Still the public wants drama, action, and the love element whether or not it fits in with historical accuracy. I've recommended GLADIATOR to friends, and when they

Edited by Faustus

Two favorite moments, both in GLADIATOR:

I understand the complaints about authenticity, and accuracy. Still the public wants drama, action, and the love element whether or not it fits in with historical accuracy. I've recommended GLADIATOR to friends, and when they've seen it asked if "that" really all happened, I get my chance to say, "Not exactly that way" and then engage them in a conversation about the differences, and the way things really were, historically, but still a great story in its own way. (hopefully igniting an interest in the real thing)

Neither of my moments has any real historical significance or are authentic, but for certain groups they have appeal, and aren't horribly missing the historical narrative; at least for a movie going public that wants more of intrigue and patricide leading up to a dangerous and depraved power figure as emperor, than real history for their entertainment.

My first moment: Commodus enters the tent of Marcus Aurelius and has the father and son succession discussion. It seems he had to get a "message" (if not in "fact"), and Richard Harris looked and acted the part of the disheartened father voicing his disappointment for his son. He had had hopes that Commodus could be molded into a proper successor, but at some point he knew it couldn't be adequately done, and probably made his feelings known, either tacitly or verbally, even though he still actually elevated Commodus to Caesar, putting an end to the adoptive precedent.

In the movie, Commodus made his own disappointment clear to his father, and that highly emotionally charged moment moved me and probably any son or father who had felt those very common emotions: The father visualizes something in his son which he desires, but which he is not, and is displeased when the son acts out the very qualities of his father, which the father sees as his weakest. The father sees in the son all his own un-repaired defects and attempts to correct them, driving them apart. Commodus, a neurotic personality, was still elevated to successor, and Marcus may have even felt his choice was (as history records, an) "unfortunate" (one). The Movie departs from reality, since it would not have been enough to accurately follow actual events.

The words:

[Marcus] (Has just told Commodus that) You will not be emperor (and that) My powers as emperor will go to Maximus, to hold in trust until the Senate is ready to rule. (Commodus shows disappointment when he draws away when his father reaches out to him) My decision disappoints you?

[Commodus] (hesitates and finally says) You wrote to me once . . . listing the four chief virtues . . . Wisdom, . . . Justice, . . . Fortitude, . . . and Temperance.

As I read the list I knew I had none of them. But, I have other virtues Father. . .

Ambition . . . that can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage . . .

Perhaps not on the battlefield, but there are other forms of courage.

Devotion. . .To my family. . . and to you.

But none of my virtues were on your list, father.

Even then it was as if you didn't want me for your son.

[Marcus] Commodus! . . .You go too far!

[Commodus] I searched the faces of the gods . . . for the way to please you, to make you proud.

One kind word . . . One full hug, where you pressed me to your chest, and held me tight!

Would have been like the sun in my heart for a thousand years! It's all I've ever wanted.

What is it in me that makes you hate me so?

[Marcus] Shhhhh. . . Commodus! Your fault as a son, is my failure as a father . . .

[Commodus] I would butcher the whole world . . . if you would only love me!

(sobbing) (they hug in an embrace)

[Marcus] Unnnnggghhhuh (grunting as Commodus commits patricide)

The Second favorite moment in GLADIATOR;

The gladiatorial "fight" in the coliseum between Commodus and Maximus; Commodus had visited his cell and had "secretly' stabbed him in the gut, to "handicap" him later in the arena where they were to have it out. In the arena toward the end of the struggle the two were surrounded by the Praetorian Guard who looked "for all the world" like Darth Vaders from Stars Wars, in their all black regalia, as they stood behind their black shields, ostensibly for the protection of Commodus. When Commodus loses his weapon he demands: Quintus give me your sword! (Quintus stands fast) and then to the Praetorian Guard he yells: Give me a sword! Quintus looks around at all the guard and yells "Sheath your swords" thus dooming Commodus, after he pulls a hidden knife, which is then turned on him by Maximus who has voluntarily disarmed himself. . . . slowly pressing the knife into his chest, quietly laying him down to die before the quieted spectators.

Great, for me there isn't a scene I don't like. It is bad I can recite the whole movie. I guess my favorite part of the movie is in the coliseum when Commodus says to Maximus what is your name..... My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius. Commander of the Armies of the North. General of the Felix Legions. Loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife

• Like 1

My favorite scene from HBO

Hehe - I'll bet not many of you expected me to post here.....

I only have one favourite scene: Octavian says to Cicero - 'Stand away from my chair!' (It may have been 'Step away' - I'm not quite sure - I only saw it once...)

It brought the house down in our living room. Cries of 'You tell 'im, sweetheart!' rang from the walls with all the gusto of enthusiastic football supporters at a top-of-the-table Premiership clash.

But if I were to be kinder to the entire series x 2, I would have to highlight i) Caesar's death and ii) those exquisite reactions from David Bamber (Cicero) when Antony pissed in the plant-pot. I mention these two purely as scenes of theatrical excellence.

As for 'Gladiator' - it has to be when he is 'floating' home at the end and the little boy comes running to meet him. Kleenex, please....I'm not ashamed. I'm a woman, and I'll cry if I want to.

Edited by The Augusta

I rather liked the 10 minute gladiator scene in the penultimate episode of Rome's first season. I thought it was more exciting and better acted than two hours of "Gladiator."

My favorite scene is in season 2 'A Neccessary Fiction' when Octavian just obliterates Marc Antony in front of all the big characters on the show. He completely gets his revenge without lifting a finger and forces Antony to leave Rome, and not return by series' end.

2 of my favorite clips went something like this:

Octavian: I thought you would have learned a little humility at Mutina, but I see now that you're still the same crude, arrogant lech you always were

Antony: That's right, still the same. And STILL fucking your mother!

Also:

Vorenus: Ugh...I can't go back there...I need a drink.

Pullo: You? Drink?

Vorenus: I, drink, what of it!?!?

Pullo: Hmmm, i'll not argue...

My favorite has to be the death of Marc Antony, which could also double for the saddest moment of the series IMO. Just brilliant, from when he wakes up to find that Cleopatra has "killed" herself to after his death when Vorenus cleans him up and dresses him in his finest armour. I think it actually brought a tear to my eye lol seeing how after all they've been through together and Vorenus' loyalty to the bitter end.

That my friends was CLASSIC television.

Too bad, knowing what we know now (that that episode would be the last) that the scene of Vorenus's death didn't have that same impact and emotion to it after what he and Titus had been through.

My favorite scenes are all of Titus Pullo's comments. Some of his comments are just great. I also like the scene where Cicero dies, and I think that he died well.

~My favorite characters would definitely be Gaia, Pullo, Caesar and Timon. I used to like both Antony and Octavian, but they both became nutters in the end.

I need not say more ;)

Edited by guy

I need not say more B)

And here's my favorite montage:

guy also known as gaius

Ha ha, they are nice scenes. I remember laughing when I saw Antony in his bright coloured armour, as he looked quite stupid. Only Vorenus seemed remotely well dressed. For some reason though, I never liked Antony as soon as he got to Egypt, although I had liked him all through the show before that.

~Also, I love the bit in the last episode in Egypt when Antony and Vorenus get drunk together the night before Antony kills himself. I love how they just keep swearing like the true Romans they are ;)

Edited by Centurion-Macro

Antony lost a great deal of charisma late in season 2. No doubt he handed the charisma over to Cleopatra. Before that he was the brave yet debaucherous general who did not like politics very much. Perhaps he liked Cleopatra because she would do the politiking for him. The first time I saw 'A Necessary Fiction', I inititally did not find her that attractive, although I am sure she would have been in person. The drama in that episode was amazing and that last scene of the episode was no exception.