UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DDickey

Bojaxhiu: Saint or Sinner?

Just to add to Nephele's list, what about Mother Teresa?....... She founded the Missionaries of Charity and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her humanitarian work. For over forty years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying in Kolkata (Calcutta), India.

As the Missionaries of Charity grew under Mother Teresa's leadership, they expanded their ministry to other countries. By the 1970s she had become internationally famed as a humanitarian and advocate for the poor and helpless. Surely she deserves a mention?

Mother Teresa already gets more attention that she deserves. She was a pious stooge for god who thrived on the exploits of the impoverished. No one who denounced abortion while simultaneously denouncing condoms in AIDS ravaged Africa should appear on such a list. Ever.

Edited by DDickey

No one who denounced abortion while simultaneously denouncing condoms in AIDS ravaged Africa should appear on such a list. Ever.

I believe you're objecting to the inclusion of Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu for the wrong reasons.

"Influential" does not necessarily equal "benign." Note that Hitler, Stalin, Ghengis Khan, etc. are also on the list.

-- Nephele

• Like 1

I agree with both Nepehle and DDickey--Teresa doesn't belong on the list, though not merely because she was a rock star for medievalist masochism. She doesn't belong on the list because she changed the world much, much less than others that could appear on the list.

No one who denounced abortion while simultaneously denouncing condoms in AIDS ravaged Africa should appear on such a list. Ever.

I believe you're objecting to the inclusion of Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu for the wrong reasons.

"Influential" does not necessarily equal "benign." Note that Hitler, Stalin, Ghengis Khan, etc. are also on the list.

-- Nephele

Well, I see your point and I concede that point. But, as Cato pointed out, Mother Teresa did nothing globally influential. She was a much hyped figure who, as it turns out, had about as much faith in God as I do.

It is quite one thing to say that Mother Theresa doesn't belong on a list of influential people; it is quite another to malign her with unbounded hatred.

It is quite one thing to say that Mother Theresa doesn't belong on a list of influential people; it is quite another to malign her with unbounded hatred.

IMO most people of whatever religious persuasion are worthy of ridicule.

I disagree. While I personally don't regard Agnes Gonxha She's-Not-My-Mother Bojaxhiu with "unbounded hatred," I think that my own expressed distaste for her anti-condom advocacy in AIDS-ravaged nations (as well as a few other things about Bojaxhiu which haven't been mentioned here at all) is not without reason.

It's to be expected that, when compiling a list of "Influential People," the virtues and faults of any particular individual may be discussed -- particularly when the fame of any particular individual might be due to some of those individual's faults having been perceived as virtues.

I also disagree with those here who maintain that Bojaxhiu wasn't influential enough to have been included on this list. There are millions of people (not exclusively Roman Catholic) around the globe who not only revere this woman but who also regard her as an influential role model, despite some peculiar, anti-life notions of hers.

-- Nephele

My Dearest Lady N., it appears that you have forgotten your very own stricture.

Good P.C., what we have here is a failure to communicate.

Just for the heavens of it, which of you maliglinators has ever contributed a scosh of what MT has contributed to mankind? Her contribution need not be seen as a religious thing. Get a grip!

My Dearest Lady N., it appears that you have forgotten your very own stricture.

As is sometimes the case, my dear GO, I haven't a fookin' clue as to what you are talking about. :thumbsup:

-- Nephele

GO, why don't you talk properly?

Of course, you really meant to communicate 'write properly'. :lol:

Basil

:ph34r:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Just for the heavens of it, which of you maliglinators has ever contributed a scosh of what MT has contributed to mankind? Her contribution need not be seen as a religious thing. Get a grip!

Well, okay; I wasn't going to say anything, but I figured: what the heck. It's a common misconception that Mother Teresa made any contribution to mankind. The majority of money raised did not go to the poor in Calcutta; it went to building nunneries to indoctrinate women into Mother Teresa's unique brand of 'compassion.' She mistreated those she was charged to help; she allowed countless people to die who could easily have been saved through modern medicine. She was a vicious, phony fraud. And we recently found out that for fifty years she didn't believe in God or Jesus; she tried to, she wanted to, but she couldn't feel their presence. This serves to illustrate her motives: she did what she did for two reasons. One, to fight off her demons, and, Two, in a selfish attempt to feel the presence of God and Jesus.

Don

Edited by DDickey
  • Like 1

I disagree. While I personally don't regard Agnes Gonxha She's-Not-My-Mother Bojaxhiu with "unbounded hatred," I think that my own expressed distaste for her anti-condom advocacy in AIDS-ravaged nations (as well as a few other things about Bojaxhiu which haven't been mentioned here at all) is not without reason.

It's to be expected that, when compiling a list of "Influential People," the virtues and faults of any particular individual may be discussed -- particularly when the fame of any particular individual might be due to some of those individual's faults having been perceived as virtues.

I also disagree with those here who maintain that Bojaxhiu wasn't influential enough to have been included on this list. There are millions of people (not exclusively Roman Catholic) around the globe who not only revere this woman but who also regard her as an influential role model, despite some peculiar, anti-life notions of hers.

-- Nephele

You seem to be well informed about AIDS and africa. Would you care to inform me about it more? Also, I would be greatly interested on your opinion on whether the AIDS virus is a conspiracy by the US.

Antiochus III