UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Egypt: Tomb of Cleopatra and Antony to be uncovered

Archaeologists have revealed plans to uncover the 2000 year-old tomb of ancient Egypt's most famous lovers, Cleopatra and the Roman general Mark Antony later this year. Zahi Hawass, prominent archaeologist and director of Egypt's superior council for antiquities announced a proposal to test the theory that the couple were buried together.

He discussed the project in Cairo at a media conference about the ancient pharaohs. Hawass said that the remains of the legendary Egyptian queen and her Roman lover, Mark Antony, were inside a temple called Tabusiris Magna, 30 kilometres from the port city of Alexandria in northern Egypt...

AKI

Archaeologists have revealed plans to uncover the 2000 year-old tomb of ancient Egypt's most famous lovers, Cleopatra and the Roman general Mark Antony later this year. Zahi Hawass, prominent archaeologist and director of Egypt's superior council for antiquities announced a proposal to test the theory that the couple were buried together.

He discussed the project in Cairo at a media conference about the ancient pharaohs. Hawass said that the remains of the legendary Egyptian queen and her Roman lover, Mark Antony, were inside a temple called Tabusiris Magna, 30 kilometres from the port city of Alexandria in northern Egypt...

AKI

This is so interesting, but I'm confused about how they know it's Cleopatra's tomb? Only because of the coins? Or does her name appear somewhere on the walls? And if it's been underwater, the remains would be destroyed. I can't wait to hear more about this. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Crispina

The headline of the article, "Tomb of Cleopatra and lover..," made me wince. To think that Mark Antony is today known principally for being that Egyptian whore's lover...ugh.

The headline of the article, "Tomb of Cleopatra and lover..," made me wince. To think that Mark Antony is today known principally for being that Egyptian whore's lover...ugh.

And your Primary Sources are...?

I think that even in anciet times (after his death) Antonius was known as "that Egyptian whore's lover" thanks to Augustus smear campaign against him.

Even had Antony won, methinks he would still have been overshadowed by his association to an exotic and wily foreign queen.

Anyway, very interesting news. Hawass is nothing if not ambitious.

Hence my reasoning for changing it on the forum headline. I was equally disgusted.

A fitting epitaph in my opinion, MPC and PP. The pair of them deserved eachother.

But seriously - (well, I was being serious) - do we really believe this will be 'the' tomb? I have my doubts.

Edited by The Augusta

Interesting story. First Alexander the Great's panoply and now Antony and Cleopatra's tomb. Well, if those items really do belong to Alexander, and if Hawass really does discover the tomb; it'd be two magnificent archaeological discoveries in a very short time.

Worth keeping an eye out for any updates on this story.

In the HBO series, Octavian brought Antony's body back to Rome. Poetic license or real? What book or books would I find information as to where he is buried. Why didn't he have a funeral pyre? Wasn't that the custom at that time, but I guess not in Egypt.

In the HBO series, Octavian brought Antony's body back to Rome. Poetic license or real? What book or books would I find information as to where he is buried. Why didn't he have a funeral pyre? Wasn't that the custom at that time, but I guess not in Egypt.

Antonius was buried in Egypt by Cleopatra

"but as for Antonius, though many generals and kings asked for his body that they might give it burial, Caesar would not take it away from Cleopatra, and it was buried by her hands in sumptuous and royal fashion, such things being granted her for the purpose as she desired." (Plutarchus, Life of Antonius, 82)

As he himself have wished:

"Moreover, Titius and Plancus, friends of Antony and men of consular rank, being abused by Cleopatra (for they had been most opposed to her accompanying the expedition) ran away to Caesar, and they gave him information about Antonius' will, the contents of which they knew 3 This will was on deposit with the Vestal Virgins, and when Caesar asked for it, they would not give it to him; but if he wanted to take it, they told him to come and do so. So he went and took it; and to begin with, he read its contents through by himself; and marked certain reprehensible passages; then he assembled the senate and read it aloud to them, although most of them were displeased to hear him do so 4 For they thought it a strange and grievous matter that a man should be called to account while alive for what he wished to have done after his death. Caesar laid most stress on the clause in the will relating to Antonius' burial. For it directed that Antonius' body, even if he should die in Rome, should be borne in state through the forum and then sent away to Cleopatra in Egypt." (Plutarchus, Life of Antonius, 58.2)