UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Welsh roots lie in Spain and Portugal

The Welsh have more in common with sun-kissed glamour pusses like actress Penelope Cruz and footballer Christiano Ronaldo than pale- faced Germans like Helmet Kohl, according to an academic.

Professor John Koch suggests the Welsh can trace their ancestry back to Portugal and Spain, debunking the century-old received wisdom that our forebears came from Iron Age Germany and Austria.

full article at IC Wales

The Welsh have more in common with sun-kissed glamour pusses like actress Penelope Cruz and footballer Christiano Ronaldo than pale- faced Germans like Helmet Kohl, according to an academic.

Professor John Koch suggests the Welsh can trace their ancestry back to Portugal and Spain, debunking the century-old received wisdom that our forebears came from Iron Age Germany and Austria.

full article at IC Wales

Interesting Viggen, the seafaring nature of all the places suggested like Portugal, Northern Spain, Brittany, Atlantic Coast of France, Western part of British Isles (Wales); (but particularly Portugal) when you consider the "sea locked" aspect and the "seafaring nature" or strain suggested of all these populations. Portugal has always roused my curiosity. Now this geographical pattern combines with the mystery of the origin of the Celts, of whom it seems there is always more to come.

full article at IC Wales

Interesting Viggen, the seafaring nature of all the places suggested like Portugal, Northern Spain, Brittany, Atlantic Coast of France, Western part of British Isles (Wales); (but particularly Portugal) when you consider the "sea locked" aspect and the "seafaring nature" or strain suggested of all these populations. Portugal has always roused my curiosity. Now this geographical pattern combines with the mystery of the origin of the Celts, of whom it seems there is always more to come.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...ame_etymologies

Portugal:

From medieval Romance Portucale, from Latin portus, "port" and Cale, the name of the Roman Portus Cale, or Port of Cale (modern Porto and Gaia). The origin of the name "Cale" is debated. It may have been related to the Gallaeci, a Celtic people who lived north of the Douro River in pre-Roman times.

* Lusitania (ancient predecessor and literary variant): after the Lusitanians, probably of Celtic origin, as Lus and Tanus, "tribe of Lusus".

The people of Galicia and northern Portugal are, by and large, not the 'sun-kissed', swarthy types; they tend to be quite light-skinned, dark haired. So that, along with geographical links, certainly helps in their argument. But while I find this interesting, especially for one of my favorite activities (armchair philosophy :lol: ), I still have plenty of questions. There's also an element which isn't accounted for--the Iberian peoples who were in various parts of the Iberian peninsula before the Celts arrived. It could be that the Welsh have some traces of them, and not necessarily Celts.

Regardless, it's interesting, and I'd love to read more about it.

at least is veridical that celts were here in galicia. I fact, I live 15 minutes away from a "castro" the tipical celt ruin, although it is romanized, and galicia is famous for having many important celtic heritage and remains. Many people here claim and are proud of our celtic past....I don't defend that, If I had some roots, I'll prefer to say that they're romans or something ahahah, but.... :lol: