UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Blindness

drachor

I am seeking a little information regarding blindness (blind people) in the empire. What would have been its extent and from what possible causes? How would such individuals have gotten along? What were beliefs and attitudes about them?

Thanks

This reminds me of Appius Claudius Caecus (caecus=blind), legend has it that he was punished by the Gods and made blind for wanting to unify the greco-roman, celtic and germanic pantheons. Apparently his life as a politician was not compromised by this infirmity.

Temporary blindness was seen as an powerful omen sent by gods. This made the person somkind of a prophet. Even Nero claimed that he was temporarely blinded as a prophecy of the fire of 64. Prophecy was sometimes connected with blindness in the greco-roman world leading to the image of the blind prophet. Homer, the most revered writer of Antiquity, was blind.

I think that they had nothing against blind people.

From the BBC:

"Think of the Roman legacy to Britain and many things spring to mind - straight roads, under-floor heating, aqueducts and public baths. But they were also pioneers in the health arena - particularly in the area of eye care, with remedies for various eye conditions such as short-sightedness and conjunctivitis. Perhaps most surprisingly of all is that the Romans - and others from ancient times, including the Chinese, Indians and Greeks - were also able also to carry out cataract operations.

The Romans were almost certainly the first to do this in Britain. Surgical skills"

Faustus