UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ursus

Poll: Why Are You Interested In Rome?

What aspect of Roman life interests you the most?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What aspect of Roman life interests you the most?

• History, Politics and famous people
    • Government and Law
    • Military Affairs
    • Economy, Industry and Trade
    • Latin and its literature
    • Religion and mythology
    • Architecture, Culture and the Arts
    • Daily Life
    • A little bit of everything; no specific area
    • Other (please explain)

I'm interested in most everything, but I answered history, politics and people, since that's technically what inspired me in the first place.

I answered "a little bit of everything." I tend to pay a bit more attention to religious and cultural studies, but I try not to ignore any of the other areas.

Although I will admit I once read a survey of the Roman economy which bored the heck out of me, and I haven't read anything on the Roman economy since.

A little bit of anything but basically I want my life to be run Roman Pagan Style. And I like all the history of Rome and it culture and art. I got into its Military latter on in fact. I also want build a Roman Temple and a Villa for myself when I turn 18.

Zeke

I'd say history, people one and military biz. I am very interested in the famous people of the era, Caesar, Scipio etc. and the quotes they have left us. One thing that i dont like about the Romans tho is the religous side, it just seems done b4, a blatant rip of Greek gods etc.

Actually there were some appreciable differences between Greek religion and Roman religion. For one thing, the Romans often saw the Olympian gods in a slightly different light than the Greeks. For another thing, Roman religion has an almost Confucian reverence of ancestors and local spirits that you don't really find to the same extent in Greek religion.

Well the problem is, the Romans in the early early days believed in animism and spirits and the like but then later on when they start to conquer you notice they adopt new gods which kinda makes me lose interest. I don't really like people who can just switch religous views so easily. I tend to respect people more who keep with ther religion even if times get rough.

I chose "Military Affairs."

I've always been fascinated by nations known for their disciplined armies. Usually, I only learn cultural facts that have some relation to the military when studying Rome.

Well the problem is, the Romans in the early early days believed in animism and spirits and the like but then later on when they start to conquer you notice they adopt new gods which kinda makes me lose interest. I don't really like people who can just switch religous views so easily. I tend to respect people more who keep with ther religion even if times get rough.

Yeah I agree with you in several ways but....here is my view. I think it is perfeclty ok to adopt new gods into your Pantheon if you a Pagan. The thing I don't like is these new ages Wicca views where they incorperate Gods and Goddeses from the Roman and Greek Pantheonons and mix with a whole bunch of magic and stupid stuff. They also put in Christian Montheism which doesn't match. I think Roman Reconstruct Paganism should be kept at a basic level without all the magic that Witches incorperate or these new age Hippies.

I also like people who don't change their views on religion even if it gets really tough. Thought I would prefear Christians going back to their anceint Roots.

To add to this.......I worship Roman Gods yes but I also worship some Celtic and Nordic deities because the Romans incoporated them into their system. The history of Rome clearly says that they still have reverance for their old gods but also respect the new ones.

Sorry about spelling

Zeke

Zeke a quick question. No offense intedended but I was curious how you became a pagan. were you born one or did you just decide later on that it was the best religion for you.

Zeke a quick question. No offense intedended but I was curious how you became a pagan. were you born one or did you just decide later on that it was the best religion for you.

oh yes....I posted a Post called Roman Paganism on the forums it explains what I believe and why I became a Roman Pagan. But yes I converted myself to Roman Paganism when my dad died. About 2 years ago. Very few people in the world today are born in to Paganism except in India, most discover their spirtuality themselves.

sorry about spelling

Zeke

ok just curious because I know that I have never run into a pagan, or a polytheistic follower to throw away the christian descrimitative word that seems to be associated with polytheisists, there are not any that I have come into contact with in the various states i have lived in including georgia, california, illinois, and the state i reside in during school iowa.

Well you probably have just never relised it. Pagans keep to themselves due to persuctions by Convervative Christians. I personally have never met face to face another Roman Pagan ;)

I am very open with my spirtuality and when I tell other people I am a Roman Pagan they say its a phase I am going through and that the light of god will see me again. They say I just want to rebel and be uquine. Why would I rebel if I KNOW that there are not many Roman Pagans in the world,If I wanted to rebel and be uquine I would dye my hair purple and think I was cool lol. I have seen weird stuff though in dreams and in the night sky. Soon I will have a whole dedicated to my gods. But thats just me I have so many friends that arn't Pagans so yeah.

But pompeius magnus you probably have run into several Wicca fallowers but never know it. I know 4 or 5 at my high school.

Lets get back the orginal subject though of why people are intrested in Rome.

I think its because it was one of the greatest Empire of all time and without Roman culture and ideas, well we might be living under kings.

Sorry about spelling,

Zeke

I am not a conservative chrisitian and feel ashamed at times at the way chrisitans treated Pagans, a view I take is that my monothesitic god is the same as your many just compacted into one being. Anyway my favorite part of Roman society is the architecture and forum life. With the likes of Cicero the Gracchi brothers, and others it would be the place to be in ancient rome.