UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ursus

Poll: Why Are You Interested In Rome?

What aspect of Roman life interests you the most?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What aspect of Roman life interests you the most?

• History, Politics and famous people
    • Government and Law
    • Military Affairs
    • Economy, Industry and Trade
    • Latin and its literature
    • Religion and mythology
    • Architecture, Culture and the Arts
    • Daily Life
    • A little bit of everything; no specific area
    • Other (please explain)

i think what i find the most fascinating about rome is its military. not just its military but the way it used it to create the largest most memorable empire in history. ancient militaries and combats have always intrigued me... ever since i saw bravehart :) since then ive pretty much dedicated my knowledge of history to learning about darkage/pre darkage life. it all just fascinates me.

Quibble. It wasn't the largest empire on earth. I believe the Mongols had the largest land based empire, while the British had the largest marine based empire.

I thought I'd bump this up for the new people.

Why are *you* interested in Rome?

So far, the military buffs are leading.

I became interestied in Ancient Rome and Greek civilization because of its place in history in the western world and becasue of it's culture particularly in the republic days. Over the years I like all aspects of it not just military but language (so a work to learn latin), culture, religion, etc. It seems to me that Rome becames the center of all western civilization to even now. There are a lot of parrallels to the histories of a lot of other nations as well.

My interest in Rome was really born of a larger fascination with history as a whole.

All history interests me, especially ancient civilisations.

As far as Rome is concerned, no particular area is really much more important to me than any of the others, I think they are all interesting and can each provide valuable lessons for people today.

I really see the destinction between the different catagories as being quite blurred although at a push I would say " History, Politics and Famous People ". The poll is telling me I've already voted but I don't remember doing it or what I voted for :D.... probably " a bit of everything "

Briefly, as far as why I got into history in the first place, I've always found the Ancient world well......... cool.From a young age I enjoyed reading about the amazing characters and events, and found there's always something new and interesting to learn.

Oh by the way, this post was at one stage going to be a bizarre rant about ignorance, understanding and the definition of history but it wasn't really relevant so I'll save it for another time ;)

pump

...in case you havent  taken part in this poll

For me was it was film and tv. Hollywood sword & sandal blockbusters. Kirk Douglas snapping 'the symbol of Rome'. Victor Mature grimacing hopelessly as he strides out into the arena. John Hurt's psychopathic Caligula shocking a bunch of senators believing they were to be executed, only to witness an impromptu dance rehearsal. The image of a monolithic empire teetering on the brink of collapse because of some nutter on a throne was intensely attractive. I know better nowadays of course, but instead of the former image, I have now come to like the liveliness and civic spirit of Rome, even if it was a violent civilisation in the worst possible way.

• Like 1

History is all about people, in every era.  Rome produced some seriously outsized personalities!

I am interested because Professor Fears, in "Great Courses," in a 30 minute presentation on Caesar, noted that one of the causes of the fall of the empire was big money in politics.  They, business and the rich funded the political campaigns then had control over the politicians.  They had the power, not the person in office.  

Now we have SCOTUS decision Citizens United.  I want to find out more of what Professor Fears spoke of and how those concepts relate to us today.

I have found Roman history fascinating for just over 20 years now. Reading Roman history is a favorite hobby of mine. One of my favorite works is Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. It is an old book, but it is so well written that it is a must for any newcomer to the field. Even today, I read the newspapers and I think, is this a decline and fall type of story?

When it comes to my favorite ancient author, there are a few but I would probably list Tacitus at the top.

Edited by tk421
Edited for brevity.