UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Review: The Sirens of Surrentum by Caroline Lawrence

Primus Pilus

Ursus reviewed the latest offering of our very own "Flavia Gemina" (Caroline Lawrence)...

"Inspiring kids to read these days is no mean feat in the wake of crumbling educational systems. One is considered lucky if one's child buys into the global media hype of Harry Potter. Even luckier, supposedly, are those who start studying Elvish at the behest of Tolkien. I am not myself a parent, but I wonder offhand if there is something better to inspire children than overblown fantasy epics. Were I to have kids, I'd want to teach them something more valuable. I'd want them to learn history, to taste of the knowledge and glory of our illustrious cultural forebears. In so many words I'd want to groom them for Romanophilia. Thanks to Caroline Lawrence and her Roman Mysteries series, we now have something to educate the next generation of UNRV members"...

Read the full review of the Sirens of Surrentum

Also check out the attached author interview

Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter? Overrated tripe, I say. What do hobbits and wizards have to do with anything? Give the neighborhood kids a copy of the Sirens of Surrentum. Instead of growing up to be geeks who wear fake Elvish ears to conventions, they may just become urbane classical scholars one day.

Hear, hear!!

Great review and interview Ursus.

My eldest daughter is a big fan of the Roman Mysteries, as she's only six I read the books with her and we both love them. The books are so well researched and educational as well as entertaining that anyone whether child or adult can not fail to enjoy them.

I've certainly got a budding young Romanophile under my wing.

Thanks for the great review, Ursus.

However, I must warn parents that The Sirens of Surrentum has the most adult theme of any of the books in the series, being about 'sex and decadence' in ancient Rome. For that reason it is probably not suitable for children under 10. Although I know from my experience as a teacher that if children don't know about things, references to them will go over their heads, I also know that some parents will appreciate this warning.

I've tried to find the balance in 'Sirens' but the reviews on Amazon.com show that people aren't happy with what I've done. Interestingly, in England they are a lot more open-minded. Many parents don't mind the blood and gore of the arena, or horses dying in the Circus Maximus, but they object to a sex scene no matter how obliquely written! They also miss the fact that the lesson I am teaching in this book is that you CAN be too young for love.

BTW, you can see the various 'themes and topics' I tackle on these pages of my website:

Themes and Topic for Books 1 - 4

Themes and Topics for books 5 - 8

Themes and Topics for books 9 - 12

Valete!

Excellent review and interview, Ursus -- brilliantly accomplished! And, thank you, Caroline, for graciously participating!

I've tried to find the balance in 'Sirens' but the reviews on Amazon.com show that people aren't happy with what I've done.

Don't let it bother you, Caroline -- there were only two people who objected, and I have to admit that it *is* funny to see the difference in attitudes between Americans and Brits. :wacko: And, yes, sadly, those two negative reviewers did miss the point of the story regarding the learning of a valuable life-lesson.

I've posted my own little review of Sirens to the American Amazon site. (I also posted to the UK site, but haven't seen my review show up yet.) It should boost the book another star in the ratings, at the very least. I urge others here to do the same! :lol:

-- Nephele

The interview is fascinating and 'The Sirens of Surrentum' sounds like a great book.

I need to get my hands on some of these titles.

Caroline does a lot of signings at various bookstores in England. Maybe you could combine picking up one of her books with actually meeting her. :ph34r:

-- Nephele

Excellent review and interview, Ursus -- brilliantly accomplished! And, thank you, Caroline, for graciously participating!

I've tried to find the balance in 'Sirens' but the reviews on Amazon.com show that people aren't happy with what I've done.

Don't let it bother you, Caroline -- there were only two people who objected, and I have to admit that it *is* funny to see the difference in attitudes between Americans and Brits. ;) And, yes, sadly, those two negative reviewers did miss the point of the story regarding the learning of a valuable life-lesson.

I've posted my own little review of Sirens to the American Amazon site. (I also posted to the UK site, but haven't seen my review show up yet.) It should boost the book another star in the ratings, at the very least. I urge others here to do the same! :D

-- Nephele

Nephele,

Your review is now on Amazon UK where the book is currently on 4.5 stars with the high scoring reviews generally being well received, while the US site is now up to 3 stars.

Don't let it bother you, Caroline -- there were only two people who objected, and I have to admit that it *is* funny to see the difference in attitudes between Americans and Brits. ;) And, yes, sadly, those two negative reviewers did miss the point of the story regarding the learning of a valuable life-lesson.

I've posted my own little review of Sirens to the American Amazon site. (I also posted to the UK site, but haven't seen my review show up yet.) It should boost the book another star in the ratings, at the very least. I urge others here to do the same! :D

-- Nephele

Nephele,

Your review is now on Amazon UK where the book is currently on 4.5 stars with the high scoring reviews generally being well received, while the US site is now up to 3 stars.

Yay! Thanks for the news, Melvadius! Hey, Ursus -- how about putting your review up on Amazon, too? If it's too long for Amazon, you can abridge it.

Just wanted to add that one of the stupidest comments by a reviewer that I've ever seen was from this negative reviewer who wrote: "In general, if your child has already been exposed to the concept of adultery and/or sex between unmarried partners, then this book would probably be fine."

How many people's children have had personal exposure to gladiatorial combat, as well? Why, for that matter, is the concept of adultery more disquieting to the reviewer than the concept of slavery?

For crapsake, the book is about people living in an ancient society DIFFERENT from ours. Yes, "adultery" occurred in all historical periods, but you can't judge the ancients by modern-day standards. I think many children grasp that concept better than some adults do.

To top it off, I just had to laugh at the reviewer's final, smug statement: "Fortunately, my kids haven't had to deal with either of those topics yet." Makes me wonder what topics of ancient Roman society the reviewer's kids are dealing with.

-- Nephele

Flavia Gemina and Harry Potter do, in fact have something else in common other than inhabiting worlds very different from our own. Both have chroniclers who are able to keep the parents reading the story after the kids have done and gone to sleep. One thing I've noticed about reviews of the Flavia Gemina stories is how much the adults enjoyed them too - I think because the careful research shows without being at all 'teachy'. I'm looking forward to the next one.