UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Caroline Lawrence

Viggen

Make sure to read this engaging interview with Ms. Lawrence on this most recent book, her "Roman Mysteries" series and more...

Caroline Lawrence Interview

What a wonderful interview - thanks to Ursus and Caroline for sharing this with us. I enjoyed the whole thing, but when I got to the part where Caroline says that Mary Renault changed her life, I had my usual ridiculous reaction. The eyes filled with tears, the lump came into the throat and I found myself nodding at the computer screen in silent agreement. The woman is a goddess of historical fiction. I once said that Caroline's books were 'Mary Renault for kids' and I meant that as the greatest compliment anyone could give. There are many good novelists; many people can turn a decent phrase. It was Mary who made me want to write in this genre too.

I was interested in Caroline's comments about thinking in blocks and pictures. One would expect writers to think in words, but I think Caroline has hit the nail on the head. Where Renault's and Caroline's own genius lie, of course, is in painting those pictures with such a colourful brush that the whole world can see them too. When I read one of Caroline's books, I am a Roman child. When I read Renault I am a Greek youth or whatever. I am never a modern person reading a tale of history. Very, very few historical novelists have this gift, even some of the so-called best.

Thanks for a great interview, Caroline/Flavia - and I'm sure I speak for everyone else on the Forum when I say we hope to see you back very soon.

Beautifully expressed, Augusta!

When I read one of Caroline's books, I am a Roman child.

Yes, I know that feeling, too! Caroline is in Turkey right now, researching her next book, The Prophet from Epheseus. But I'll let her know what you've written, and I know that she'll be very touched by it.

Caroline has included a mention of UNRV (with the UNRV logo) on the news scroll of her website:

"Interview News: UNRV (United Nations of Roma Victrix) provides a forum for those who study Rome in all forms. Scholars, students and Romanophiles all meet on the forum for the exchange of ideas. Recently I was interviewed by 'Ursus'. Read the interview HERE, or click the logo on the left."

Our Ursus is also quoted in the section of Caroline's site for editorial reviews (scroll down to The Sirens of Surrentum).

-- Nephele