UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

wiki edit of the Roman Empire

Fedor

Did Septimius Severus and Galerius capture Ctesiphon? I found a few sources that they both did.

I can give you an additional (19th century scholarly) source regarding Severus' capture of Ctesiphon. I have in my personal library the 3-volume Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology (my edition is 1890). The following is taken from the article "Severus, L. Septimius":

"...Severus, still thirsting for military renown, resolved to return to Asia, and again assail the Parthians, who, taking advantage of the civil strife in the West, had spread over Mesopotamia. Accordingly he set forth accompanied by his sons Caracalla and Geta, crossed the Euphrates early in the year A.D. 198, and commenced a series of operations which were attended with the most brilliant results. Seleucia and Babylon were evacuated by the enemy; and Ctesiphon, at that time their royal city, was taken and plundered after a short siege."

-- Nephele

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Septimius Severus and Galerius capture Ctesiphon? I found a few sources that they both did.

I can give you an additional (19th century scholarly) source regarding Severus' capture of Ctesiphon. I have in my personal library the 3-volume Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology (my edition is 1890). The following is taken from the article "Severus, L. Septimius":

"...Severus, still thirsting for military renown, resolved to return to Asia, and again assail the Parthians, who, taking advantage of the civil strife in the West, had spread over Mesopotamia. Accordingly he set forth accompanied by his sons Caracalla and Geta, crossed the Euphrates early in the year A.D. 198, and commenced a series of operations which were attended with the most brilliant results. Seleucia and Babylon were evacuated by the enemy; and Ctesiphon, at that time their royal city, was taken and plundered after a short siege."

-- Nephele

Thank you. I will show them this source but I do not think they compromise. Another question regarding Trajan. It is true that he captured the great city of susa?

This is what I wanted to add in the article which was removed by Iranian/Persian posters. Should I make further changes or what?

This is what I wanted to add about Severus. What I wanted to add is in bold.

In 195

Edited by Fedor

Found another source on Severus. http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roma...6*.html#75-10.3

"As the Parthians did not await his arrival but retired homeward (their leader was Vologaesus, whose brother was accompanying Severus), he constructed boats on the Euphrates and proceeded forward partly by sailing and partly by marching along the river. The boats thus built were exceedingly swift and speedy and well constructed, for the forest along the Euphrates and that region in general afforded him an abundant supply of timber. Thus he soon had seized Seleucia and Babylon, both of which had been abandoned. Later, upon capturing Ctesiphon, he permitted the soldiers to plunder the entire city, and he slew a vast number of people, besides taking as many as a hundred thousand captives. He did not, however, pursue Vologaesus, nor even occupy Ctesiphone, but, just as if the sole purpose of his campaign had been to plunder this place, he was off again, owing partly to lack of acquaintance with the country and partly to the dearth of provisions. He returned by a different route, because the wood and fodder found on the outward march had been exhausted. Some of the soldiers made the return journey by land up the Tigris, and some in boats."

For Galerius it is much harder to find that he did capture Ctesiphon if he did at all. The only real info I found was that he seized Narseh's camp, his treasury, his harem, and his wife. Must of been rather scary for the wife. Since Galerius seized the treasury, harem and the wife, I assume he did capture the city. I will continue to look for good sources.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Gaze...KURARM/18*.html

"Fortunately for the Armenians, Galerius, following the strategy set by Diocletian, was able to reverse the tide. With Trdat reconnoitring, he led a new army through Armenia, while Diocletian himself held the passage of the Euphrates. On this occasion, the story was different; Narseh was wounded and he and his army put to flight, leaving his tent and family at the mercy of the conquerors."

Edited by Fedor