UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Looks like you're in the money, GPM. As for me, I just found out that I'm gonna be in a meeting during the Netherlands/Italy game. I'm not happy... ;)

Holland v. Italy should be good, look forward to it.

Although it'll be more like the Olympic diving teams then actual teams unfortunately.

Although it'll be more like the Olympic diving teams then actual teams unfortunately.

People keep saying this...yet more and more teams are flopping...

My guess is that it'll be a defensive game, but I have no idea who will win. I want Italy to win, but I'm not so sure it'll happen.

Actually, I've supported Italy in Internationals since the 1970 World Cup and I have to say it will be a joy to have a tournament without the hype from the English Press about the Three Lions. However, I am going to make a tally chart for how many times England are going to be mentioned on British TV in a tournament they're not even playing! ;) It started already last week when Sky interviewed Liverpool's Kuyt. 'What do you think about there being no England in this tournament, Dirk?' By all the gods! Dirk had to be sweet about it, but he probably really wanted to say: 'I'm Dutch - do you think I give a toss?'

The english go over the top with their team that usually it's not worth the excesive hype. The last time that they played something nice Maradona's hand-of-god interfered (oh, how I hated him for that! But his fall from grace made me realise what a brilliant player he was). Gary Lineker was a different breed from the likes of Beckham and Owen. He played the ball not the media. Liverpool and Everton of the early 80's..."Come on reds" still gives me a thrill.

My feelings towards the italians (french and dutch also) are at a low point now. Anyway, I still like more Italy over France as I can not forget the World Cup that the french hosted ...

Italians trashed the romanians some years ago in a very unpolite manner but I hope our team will show now some tactical brains for the first time in history instead of relying on natural gifts that seem to be absent today.

Romania does better with the best South American teams while against europeans, even boring teams like Sweden in 1994 :P , they don't seem to know what to do with the ball.

Let me just start with admitting that Sweden never plays good football. Sometimes it is effective and we have performed well above what should have been possible for us as a small nation. (Ask the English when the last time they won against us!)

As to the Sweden - Romania game... thanks for reminding me! :)

Holland 3-0 Italy,

By far the best game of the tournament so far, good attacking football, end to end stuff, excellent goalkeeping , great finishing, a perfect game for the neutral supporter. Holland didn't put a foot wrong the whole game, they were much stronger, fitter and creative all across the pitch, Italy missed Cannavaro for sure but I thought Sneijder and Van De Vaart ran the show for the Dutch where as Pirlo just didn't quite do enough for the Italians. The Dutch got a bit of good luck with the first goal which was clearly off-side but the second and third goals were perfect examples of counter - attacking football.

In contrast to this, the France V Romania game was an absolute shocker, very dull, so even after this heavy defeat I think the Azzuri should still have enough quality to go through to the second phase but I think they need to play Del Piero from the start, they looked a much better team when he came on.

Holland 3-0 Italy,

By far the best game of the tournament so far, good attacking football, end to end stuff, excellent goalkeeping , great finishing, a perfect game for the neutral supporter. Holland didn't put a foot wrong the whole game, they were much stronger, fitter and creative all across the pitch, Italy missed Cannavaro for sure but I thought Sneijder and Van De Vaart ran the show for the Dutch where as Pirlo just didn't quite do enough for the Italians. The Dutch got a bit of good luck with the first goal which was clearly off-side but the second and third goals were perfect examples of counter - attacking football.

In contrast to this, the France V Romania game was an absolute shocker, very dull, so even after this heavy defeat I think the Azzuri should still have enough quality to go through to the second phase but I think they need to play Del Piero from the start, they looked a much better team when he came on.

A brilliant post from someone who knows his football. Well said, GPM - and you know I love the Azzurri more than I love life. The first half was what lost it for us. The midfield just did NOT compete. Reno - what the hell were you doing out there? Far too many lazy, loose passes from him and Andrea.

No, hats off to the Dutch - they were absolutely fantastic and they are going to trounce France if they play like this.

I took some comfort for my Azzurri - no one can say that they played badly in that second half - we just lacked that ball in the final third. Lumping balls up to Luca isn't gonna cut it unless he has some support. That's something that Roberto has to work out for the game on Friday. But they were almost there - just on the edge - and I think you'll agree, GPM, they contributed to a fantastic game. I can't write them off yet. Holland are going to get six points after France, and we should humble Romania and France (unless something drastic happens), so all is not lost. It's one of those games where you know you have seen two good sides and they deserve to go through. France v Romania was dire. How they hell can you play with TWO holding midfielders? One, yes - that's sensible - but TWO! And they call Italy negative - jeez!

Yes, we missed Fabs in defence, and RVN's first goal was defo offside, but I'm a fair girl - their 2nd and 3rd goals were brilliant and they fully deserved their victory. There are times when you just have to sit back and applaud the opposition - tonight was one of those.

Interesting to see what Silentiium made of it all. Paging Silentium :)

I took some comfort for my Azzurri - no one can say that they played badly in that second half - we just lacked that ball in the final third. Lumping balls up to Luca isn't gonna cut it unless he has some support. That's something that Roberto has to work out for the game on Friday. But they were almost there - just on the edge - and I think you'll agree, GPM, they contributed to a fantastic game. I can't write them off yet. Holland are going to get six points after France, and we should humble Romania and France (unless something drastic happens), so all is not lost. It's one of those games where you know you have seen two good sides and they deserve to go through. France v Romania was dire. How they hell can you play with TWO holding midfielders? One, yes - that's sensible - but TWO! And they call Italy negative - jeez!

Very true Augusta, Italy were far from poor, they played some great stuff at times and contributed to a fast paced exciting game of football, the only thing that let them down was consistency, they'd play well for 15 mins or so and then take their foot of the gas and let the Dutch back on top. They were unlucky with the first goal, then Van Bronckhorst cleared off the line and Holland went up the other end and scored a great goal, then for the third Van Der Sar made a world class save from Pirlo's free kick and the same thing happened again, Holland counter attacked, caught the Italians out of position and scored another great team goal, Kuyts work rate for 90 mins was phenomenal. So in truth with a bit of luck here and there the game could easily have gone the way of the Italians. As it was the best team on the night got the win they deserved.

I'm very confident that Italy will turn Romania and France over though, France were very very poor, when Claude Makelele is playing as both defensive midfielder and play maker then you've got a problem, the French are clearly lacking any kind of creative influence in midfield. Romania are a very solid team and don't concede many goals, they finished top of their qualifying group ahead of Holland so they are certainly no mugs. But I think Italy will still reach the next round....

Fingers crossed Augusta! :)

Very true Augusta, Italy were far from poor, they played some great stuff at times and contributed to a fast paced exciting game of football, the only thing that let them down was consistency, they'd play well for 15 mins or so and then take their foot of the gas and let the Dutch back on top.

You're not wrong there, GPM - to play in spurts is the nature of the Italian game. However, I did permit myself a little chuckle tonight, as the Dutch seemed to beat the italians at their own game - their second and third goal were a perfect example of old Italian catenaccio! :)

But there are no hard feelings - seriously. It has been a while since I've watched a game and felt so honestly happy for the other team. Holland deserved it. Now, if only we could have got bloody Boularouz to play like that at Chelsea! ;)

Brilliant win for the Dutch!

The first goal was not off-side btw, there was an Italian player lying outside the field behind the goal line.

Wow, sounds like it was a helluva game...and hopefully things go better for Italia.

I'm very confident that Italy will turn Romania and France over though, France were very very poor, when Claude Makelele is playing as both defensive midfielder and play maker then you've got a problem, the French are clearly lacking any kind of creative influence in midfield. Romania are a very solid team and don't concede many goals, they finished top of their qualifying group ahead of Holland so they are certainly no mugs. But I think Italy will still reach the next round....

I agree with you. France played nothing and this helped a lot our defensive. Holland vs. Italy was a different sport. Romania will still have to lock herself in the defensive in the next game against desperate Italians. It will be very difficult as the Italians will spare nothing to win. An even game with Italy and a dutch victory over France will give us a chance to qualify.

I'm afraid you're about five years behind the times, Ram!

I'm afraid you're about five years behind the times, Ram!

Yes - now it is more like the circus, what with the interesting and varied 'victory celebrations' when a player scores a try. ;)

Edited by Northern Neil

Brilliant win for the Dutch!

The first goal was not off-side btw, there was an Italian player lying outside the field behind the goal line.

I wasn't sure but it's been clarified today: a defender that is behind the goal line still counts as active, though I've got to admit I didn't know that! Good job I wasn't the linesman - sorry, 'assistant referee'!! ;):lol: