UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Euro 2008

Viggen

Holland v. Italy should be good, look forward to it.

Although it'll be more like the Olympic diving teams then actual teams unfortunately.

I'm afraid you're about five years behind the times, Ram!

Yes - now it is more like the circus, what with the interesting and varied 'victory celebrations' when a player scores a try. :lol:

Hehe - now I've two things to say to you Cornelius: Why are you talking about Rugby when the rest of us are discussing football? ;) and more importantly - you shouldn't be making any snide comments at all with that flag in your avatar. Les Bleus effort yesterday has been surpassed only by tonight's offering from Sweden and Greece in its uncompromising awfulness ;) A lad on another forum tonight had it spot on - he called Sweden V Greece the 'World's First 7 Hour Match' with Ibrahimovic scoring a great goal in the 5th hour. And by the gods - it seemed like it. I actually felt sorry for the ball in tonight's game.

Glad to see we're all joining in the banter. Keep it coming folks.

Edited by The Augusta

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when a player scores a try.[/b] ;)

Hehe - now I've two things to say to you Cornelius: Why are you talking about Rugby when the rest of us are discussing football? :lol: and more importantly - you shouldn't be making any snide comments at all with that flag in your avatar. Les Bleus effort yesterday has been surpassed only by tonight's offering from Sweden and Greece in its uncompromising awfulness

You are quite right there, Augusta. Petty England arent in it - Maybe the band could have played 'March of the Gladiators' when Rooney walks into the arena, with his chin jutting and knuckles scraping the ground. Does he not originate from a certain city in South-West Lancashire...?

Edited by Northern Neil

Spain played very nice.

Very true Kosmo, Spain have everything required to win Euro 08, They've got two world class strikers in Villa and Torres, a skillful, creative midfield with Iniesta and Fabregas pulling the strings, and a solid defense with Puyol, Ramos and Cassilas between the sticks, They got a good mix of youth and experience through out the team. The only problem is that we always seem to say the same thing about Spain every tournament and they always seem to come up short, they just don't seem to rise to the big occasion the way teams like Germany and Italy do. So for me the jury's still out with the Spaniards, on paper they have the quality to win it but the big question is do they have the bottle??

Spain played very nice.

Very true Kosmo, Spain have everything required to win Euro 08, They've got two world class strikers in Villa and Torres, a skillful, creative midfield with Iniesta and Fabregas pulling the strings, and a solid defense with Puyol, Ramos and Cassilas between the sticks, They got a good mix of youth and experience through out the team. The only problem is that we always seem to say the same thing about Spain every tournament and they always seem to come up short, they just don't seem to rise to the big occasion the way teams like Germany and Italy do. So for me the jury's still out with the Spaniards, on paper they have the quality to win it but the big question is do they have the bottle??

I think the problem with Spain, GPM - and yes, they are very easy on the eye to watch - is that they come out too fast too soon. They treat us to these gorgeous displays from game one and by the quarters they've run out of steam. Despite years of experience in top tournaments, Spain still don't seem to have worked out that you need to pace yourself in a tournament and save your best till the latter stages. Until they learn to do that, I fear they will always be doomed to failure - which is a shame, because they play the effortless passing game with true style. What was lovely to see yesterday was Torres, who could so easily have been selfish, teaming up with Villa so brilliantly.

Having said all this, the same could be true of Holland. Will they play as well as they did on Monday? One hopes so, as these tournaments are crying out for new blood, but I am going to make an Empress's proclamation here and now at this early stage in the proceedings: Neither Spain nor Holland will win this tournament. You can all remind me of this post on 29th June, and if one of these nations are champs I will hold my hands up.

Looking forward to Portugal and the Czechs this afternoon.

when a player scores a try.[/b] ;)

Hehe - now I've two things to say to you Cornelius: Why are you talking about Rugby when the rest of us are discussing football? :lol: and more importantly - you shouldn't be making any snide comments at all with that flag in your avatar. Les Bleus effort yesterday has been surpassed only by tonight's offering from Sweden and Greece in its uncompromising awfulness

You are quite right there, Augusta. Petty England arent in it - Maybe the band could have played 'March of the Gladiators' when Rooney walks into the arena, with his chin jutting and knuckles scraping the ground. Does he not originate from a certain city in South-West Lancashire...?

Well of course, NN - if England had beenin this competition we would have been treated to over-hyped pundits in the studio willing the deluded to believe that they 'could go all the way' and that Rooney, Owen and Crouchy are the best strikers in the tournament. For once we are getting some objective, unbiased views.

And I really am rooting for Les Bleus to do better - I mean it. I do actually like France when they play at their best.

Well of course, NN - if England had beenin this competition we would have been treated to over-hyped pundits in the studio willing the deluded to believe that they 'could go all the way' and that Rooney, Owen and Crouchy are the best strikers in the tournament. For once we are getting some objective, unbiased views.

And I really am rooting for Les Bleus to do better - I mean it. I do actually like France when they play at their best.

In a strange sort of way I'm really enjoying this tournament with out England in it, it's good to just sit back and watch football with out any of the worry or hype generated by the press about whether England are good enough, which we quite obviously aren't, I mean, Russia knocked us out in the qualifying stages and they got tonked by Spain!.Or about who we're playing next or who's fit and who isn't etc etc.

Look on the bright side at least Wayne and Colleen can enjoy their wedding in peace! ;)

Sorry NN but I'm afraid I on the other hand am not rooting for Les Bleus, I've never been a big fan of the French, I know they were the World and European champs a few years ago but I honestly think they are totally over rated. Their whole team revolved around Zinadine Zidane who IMO was easily the best player in the world and when he retired they became just another ordinary team again.

I too can't wait for the Czech V Portugal game, it should be a cracker!

It was a very nice game. Portugal plays great, efficient and spectacular, and they are qualified already. Clearly, one of my favorite teams.

It was a very nice game. Portugal plays great, efficient and spectacular, and they are qualified already. Clearly, one of my favorite teams.

Yes Portugal played well, they do play some good attractive attacking football but the thing that really grinds me about them is all the diving, rolling around, screaming and play acting, sometimes it was almost embarrassing.

They do have a chance of winning the tournament but they have a very obvious weak link in their keeper Ricardo, he is very dodgy in the air and I predict he'll make some sort of error during the tournament that could well prove costly.

Wow...what a great late goal by Turkey! A tear came to my eye...the Turks fought hard in the second half, and got the win.

Question: is Turkey supposedly that great a team? Or are they one of the 'middle' teams...good, but not great? Or not even that? I admit I know nothing about them.

Wow...what a great late goal by Turkey! A tear came to my eye...the Turks fought hard in the second half, and got the win.

Question: is Turkey supposedly that great a team? Or are they one of the 'middle' teams...good, but not great? Or not even that? I admit I know nothing about them.

Despite it not being the greatest quality football on show this tournament, this was one of the most enjoyable matches I've seen in a while - from a purely neutral point of view. The conditions in the first half were horrendous, with torrential rain waterlogging the pitch and seriously hampering the play of the ball and the safety of the players. However, the ground staff did a great job to get the pitch workable for the second half and Turkey ran out deserved winners. I felt sorry for the Swiss - they are now out of the competition and they are the co-hosts, but they probably didn't serve to progress on tonight's showing.

As for what kind of a team Turkey are, Doc - no, they are not that great a team, but they do provide some entertainment. Quarter-finals would be the best they could hope for on paper, but they have imagination and creativity, even if they lack that final bit of quality. Put it this way - if they were to qualify in second place in their group they would no doubt face Germany, who would tear them a new a**hole, as the saying goes. But who knows.... these tournaments are full of surprises. Let's face it - in 2004 Greece won the thing! (That has to go down as one of the all time lows in football)

They do have a chance of winning the tournament

Be nice for Big Phil to finish on a high before he comes to us, but I can't see it. However, Portugal would be my third choice to win, and I'd root for them if Italy and Germany were out.

So, basically, Turkey and the US are on the same level? :lol:

Italy is my first choice to win it all, and then probably Spain...although this makes things difficult when I'm around my Spanish friends. I can't ever seem to root for France or Germany; Portugal to me is like the kid brother, always hanging around, causing trouble, but not much about them that's interesting. I'd like to see them succeed, but who knows.

In truth, as long as Germany and France come up short, I'm pretty happy :D

I felt sorry for the Swiss - they are now out of the competition and they are the co-hosts, but they probably didn't serve to progress on tonight's showing.

Beating hosts it's a Turkish specialty. In Euro 2000 they beat out the belgian hosts, in 2002 World Cup they took the bronze medal, after playing largely against weak teams including beating both co-hosts Japan and South Korea.

In their qualifying group for this Euro Cup Turkey produced surprises when they made draws with Malta and Moldova.