UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Euro 2008

Viggen

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hope Croatia beat the dirty Turks :( tomorrow night, I'm definitely getting my red and white checks out tomorrow!! :lol:

This will give the Germans a chance to revenge the defeat in the group. The only question is who will lose the final to Germany? :lol:

Holland - Russia was clearly the most beautiful game yet with over 50 shots fired and fast attacks. My favorites, the dutch, played unconvincing and Russia deserved to win.

Holland joins Portugal and Croatia among the group leaders that go home in the quarterfinals. It's Spain next?

Holland - Russia was clearly the most beautiful game yet with over 50 shots fired and fast attacks. My favorites, the dutch, played unconvincing and Russia deserved to win.

Holland joins Portugal and Croatia among the group leaders that go home in the quarterfinals. It's Spain next?

Well Kosmo, I went on record as saying (very early on) that neither Holland nor Spain would win this tournament, and I will still stand by it. Although gli Azzurri are a bit hampered tomorrow by the suspension of Pirlo, he has hardly been at his best in this tournament, and we are due a decent game from Ambrosini. Reno Gattuso isn't half the player he was, so his suspension tomorrow probably won't be too much of a loss either. Nevertheless, I'm expecting a very tight game, but I do feel that the final of this tournament will be played between Germany and Italy. And let's hope that Luca Toni can make up for all his missed chances in this tournament! God - the man should be on 10 goals!

I had flirted with the Portugese a week ago after Germany's poor show against Croatia, but at that stage I did not know that they would play Portugal in the quarters. Once that was on the cards I knew there would be only one winner.

FORZA AZZURRI!

As an Englishman I have to admit I've been impressed with Croatia and Russia. When they beat us and knocked us out it was assumed that England were poor/hadn't performed well/didn't deserve to be in it etc. But now we have proof that we lost to what are actually very good teams, and we don't really need too much of an excuse for losing! Having said that, we should be given a good hard kicking for complacency!!

Now that Austria are out I find myself wanting Russia to win. Last night they played a fantastic game of football and, if they can maintain that level, there's no reason why they can't win!

Fabio Capello: Impossible!It would take a miracle!

Translator: It all looks very promising!

He was dubbed with a Neapolitan accent, he's from Trieste though, North East of Italy but the videos are still funny :) .

Wow...isn't that illegal? :( Why not just dub him with a Sicilian accent!

Edited by docoflove1974

Well, that's it for another tournament. And after saying that we wouldn't miss Pirlo and Gattuso - my, how we missed 'em! Having said that, I am used to watching the Azzurri go into their Roman legionary testudo tactics like they did tonight, and once again, it almost came off in the shoot-out. However, I am probably one of the biggest fans of the Azzurri on here, but I have to say that di Natale missing his penalty was justice. He had done what I hate - rolled back onto the pitch when injured to get the game stopped. This is a trick the Italians must have learned from the Spanish, whose Reyes perfected it all over Europe! But I detest it whoever does it, so when I saw him step up for that pen I knew he would miss. And I could not begrudge Cesc his final winning penalty - I love the lad as a player and a person.

Ah well - I will now be rooting for my second team and my overall tip to win the thing in the first place - Germany.

Edited by The Augusta

Indeed a lot of diving tonight in a rather ugly and boring game.

As Romanians know well a testudo it's worth only if one has something to defend. Italians did nothing to win the game hoping for some chance that they did not get. Maybe if the referee gave the Spaniards that penalty kick as he should have, Italy would have start playing something before the extra time. This way of closing the game without a serious attempt to score first is the error of Donadoni that has no place coaching Italy. Testudo it's good for closing a game not starting it.

Spain - Russia should be a nice game especially because russians simply don't defend and attack whenever they have the ball.

This way of closing the game without a serious attempt to score first is the error of Donadoni that has no place coaching Italy. Testudo it's good for closing a game not starting it.

Kosmo - don't blame Donadoni entirely! He didn't invent these tactics. Believe me, he is carrying on a long, long tradition. I have been watching Italian football as long as I have been watching English football - i.e. 40 years. Tonight was a classic example of the Italian 'testudo' mentality. What did they have to defend? Their penalty box, of course! I can tell you that Roberto - until this tournament - had instilled the team with a far more attacking mentality than they had hitherto had. I honestly do believe that the loss of Cannavaro before the start of the group stages threw everything out of the window, and he went for the old tried and tested Plan B.

It is a given fact that in football, the Italian's first priority is not to lose. Unfortunately, we saw it in full measure tonight. On a purely technical level, one has to admire such steely defending, but alas, it doesn't make for an entertaining game.

I have no complaints. Had we gone through in the shoot-out, it would have been very hard on Spain. Justice was done and the better team have gone through. :)