UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Adelais Valerius

A question on the Gracchi Brothers

I was recently reading up on Tiberius and Gaius Gracchus, and I was wondering if someone could lend me a hand in explaining in detail what their reforms were meant to do totally. I don't mean "o, they helped the roman poor", but in detail from that. I know when Tiberius was tribune, he tried to pass laws that gave land to Roman poor from the public land that had been seized during the 2nd Punic war, and that motion was defeated, with the help of Scipio Ameilianus, and of course Tiberius's death. I also know that Gaius picked up where his brother left off so to speak, with reforms such as the formation of the quaestio de repetundis, which was formed to investigate abuses and bribe acceptances by the provincial governors. When I was reading though, I didn't quite get EXACTLY what he did. I know the outcome, but what other things did they do specifically to try and help reform the government(modified motions, laws, etc..)? If you could also add some references to any answer you give, just so I can get some more books to buy,lol.

thanks in advance, cheers

Edited by Adelais Valerius

I was recently reading up on Tiberius and Gaius Gracchus, and I was wondering if someone could lend me a hand in explaining in detail what their reforms were meant to do totally. I don't mean "o, they helped the roman poor", but in detail from that. I know when Tiberius was tribune, he tried to pass laws that gave land to Roman poor from the public land that had been seized during the 2nd Punic war, and that motion was defeated, with the help of Scipio Ameilianus, and of course Tiberius's death. I also know that Gaius picked up where his brother left off so to speak, with reforms such as the formation of the quaestio de repetundis, which was formed to investigate abuses and bribe acceptances by the provincial governors. When I was reading though, I didn't quite get EXACTLY what he did. I know the outcome, but what other things did they do specifically to try and help reform the government(modified motions, laws, etc..)? If you could also add some references to any answer you give, just so I can get some more books to buy,lol.

Salve, Valerius

Primus Pilus is responsible for this wonderful Legal Chronology.

The entries of 133 BC (Lex Sempronia Agraria) and 123 BC (Leges Semproniae) should be particularly useful for you. Just check out their primary sources.

Salve, Valerius

Primus Pilus is responsible for this wonderful Legal Chronology.

The entries of 133 BC (Lex Sempronia Agraria) and 123 BC (Leges Semproniae) should be particularly useful for you. Just check out their primary sources.

that was exactly what I was looking for, sometimes I forget to check the website....gratias ago vos quamvis(pardon if the latin is off, I wasn't 100% sure)

Edited by Adelais Valerius