UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
G-Manicus

I need input on Allan Massie's Roman novels

Anyone read 'em? If so, can you help me out on what order his books are to be read in, or does it not matter? The reason I ask is that the order of publication does not match the historical sequence. The novels were published in the following order:

Augustus: The Memoirs of the Emperor 1986

Tiberius: The Memoirs of the Emperor 1991

Caesar 1993

Antony 1997

Nero's Heirs 1999

Caligula 2004

Would I be better served to read them in chronological order starting with Caesar > Antony > Augustus > etc?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by G-Manicus

It doesn't really matter which order you read them in, they are not part of a series where one follows on from the other. I read these books a few years ago in no particular order, but personally if I were to read them again then I would would start with Caesar and then continue in historical sequence. They are mostly written in the first person or from the point of view of an eyewitness to the events taking place.

They're definitely worth a read, I think you'll enjoy them G-Man.

It doesn't really matter which order you read them in, they are not part of a series where one follows on from the other. I read these books a few years ago in no particular order, but personally if I were to read them again then I would would start with Caesar and then continue in historical sequence. They are mostly written in the first person or from the point of view of an eyewitness to the events taking place.

They're definitely worth a read, I think you'll enjoy them G-Man.

Thanks, GPM! Just the response I was looking for.

[clicks Amazon.com link ... ]

I picked up "Caesar" and started reading it last week. This line on page 67 makes me question whether to continue with the series:

"I am Gaius Octavius Thurinus. My mother is Caesar's sister."

*sigh*