UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
longshotgene

Roman Lego Sets!

I especially like the cogwheel motif on the front, a sure sign of a temple dedicated to the god Mechanicus...

I've just sent the following message to Lego...

As impressed as I am with the range of your products, I feel concerned that there is apparently no Roman Lego set, surely an oversight, given the outstanding civil engineering achievemensts of the roman empire. Is the any possibility of a future product release of this nature?

I await their reply...

Edited by caldrail

This is awesome! I am gearing up to teach an intro to Ancient Cultures class next spring. I would like to be able to have a few hundred Roman soldiers, builders and various famous Roman works to use in demonstrations. Imagine if you could actually act out the Battle of Cannae with little soldiers!

I especially like the cogwheel motif on the front, a sure sign of a temple dedicated to the god Mechanicus...

I've just sent the following message to Lego...

As impressed as I am with the range of your products, I feel concerned that there is apparently no Roman Lego set, surely an oversight, given the outstanding civil engineering achievemensts of the roman empire. Is the any possibility of a future product release of this nature?

I await their reply...

Oh shame on you, Calders! Let your imagination flow. I've built many a Roman forum with my kids' ordinary lego sets when they were little :( I must admit though, it was only buildings. People were something of a problem. So on second thoughts, I'll join inthe protest. Lego Romans please, in tunics and removable/attachable plastic togas.

Neil - awesome Theatre! Must admit, I stuck to square buildings! Alas, I can't produce any pictures though, so you will all have to take my word as an upstanding and honest citizeness, that I did create little wonders for the kids.

Edited by The Augusta

RIGHT!!!! After a couple of hours work, I am pleased to show preliminary pics of my response to the aggressive intrusion of the Lego company into a field jealously monopolised up to now by anoraks such as myself. Tiny Temples for Augusta, GPM and Augustus are temporarily on hold, as is, I am afraid, Nephele's luxurious villa. I even had a Curia on the drawing board for Cato, but no - this dictates a response. Here it is - preliminary stages!

30rr9eg.jpg

(Can you guess what it is yet?)

Excellent work as usual NN, beats the hell out of lego! :(

Oh shame on you, Calders! Let your imagination flow. I've built many a Roman forum with my kids' ordinary lego sets when they were little :( I must admit though, it was only buildings. People were something of a problem. So on second thoughts, I'll join inthe protest. Lego Romans please, in tunics and removable/attachable plastic togas.

Augusta! I'm shocked and awed to discover what a keen lego builder you were! However, Lego have politely replied to my enquiry...

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I think your Roman Empire would make a brilliant LEGO

Um, what legal reasons????

Edited by docoflove1974

Legal issues? Are they afraid of Cicero coming back from the dead and talking people to death? Companies always have some excuse. I want to see my children growing up playing with little Julius Caesars and Cleopatras. Is this such a big dream?

Very cool odeon, NN. Look forward to seeing the Rostra spring to life as well.

BTW, isn't it odd that most of the Lego works above are all-white? The temples weren't actually monochrome, and doesn't it take more effort to pick out all white pieces anyway?

Heia, MPC! Good point:

eo003bu9.jpg

Fortuna Primagenia (Praeneste)

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

BTW, isn't it odd that most of the Lego works above are all-white? The temples weren't actually monochrome, and doesn't it take more effort to pick out all white pieces anyway?

Heia, MPC! Good point:

eo003bu9.jpg

Fortuna Primagenia (Praeneste)

WOW, Asclepiades - how long did this take? It just goes to show, if you have the Lego bricks anyway, you can actually build most things already. Maybe the Lego company simply needs to take more pics of models such as this and the other two, and introduce a few figures? It would take little work I suspect.

Btw - mostly in white so far, but on completion the building will assume a variety of hues.

b7jlw5.jpg

Royalties and copyright.

Royalties and copyright.

I am unclear as to whose copyright they would be compromising - If they develop their own range, how can it compromise anyone else's copyright? Commercially available models/kits of Roman buildings are sadly very rare (in my case a good thing - neccesity is the mother of invention!) and there is less choice around now than in the 60's and 70's - for example, I recently bought an airfix Roman Fort (Actually a milecastle - and not a bad representation, incidentally) from ebay. This has been out of production since the early 80's due to lack of demand.

Apart from the excellent card models produced by small companies in former eastern bock countries, there are few Roman Model copyrights I believe Lego could breach - especially when one considers that lego always has its tongue in cheek with all its ranges, and none of their models (partly a limitation of the knobbly bricks themselves) is anyway a direct copy of anything.

I know I'm a little off-topic when I say this, but it irritates me that I cannot find a decent 3D puzzle of any Roman building. For years I've wanted to build a 3D Colosseum, unfortunately I can only find one puzzle representing the Colosseum and that is a really small 84 piece disgrace to the beautiful structure that is the Flavian Amphitheatre.

I believe Agrippa owns a trademark on The Pantheon

I believe Agrippa owns a trademark on The Pantheon