UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Faustus

Civics Education

Take the Civics Quiz -

Intercollegiate Studies Institute test on Civics education, with lots of interesting data on US college scores and

RANKINGS

Test your knowledge by answering the sixty multiple-choice questions. You may want to register for this test.

(A printable version of the quiz, along with the answers, is available for download for those who register.)

My own score 81.67%

Faustus

Edited by Faustus

Take the Civics Quiz -

Intercollegiate Studies Institute test on Civics education, with lots of interesting data on US college scores and

RANKINGS

Test your knowledge by answering the sixty multiple-choice questions. You may want to register for this test.

(A printable version of the quiz, along with the answers, is available for download for those who register.)

My own score 81.67%

Faustus

That was the toughest test I've had since law school. By the time I hit the halfway point, I was hoping for a 50%

Result: 78.33 % :-)

71.67%...and I just took the State Dept.'s Foreign Service Officer exam, where I had to study a bunch of this stuff...and, of course, subsequently forgot some of it lol.

I'm not american and had no courses on american history but made 75% on the quizz... I'm astounded to discover the results of the common american students on theses matters which they did have to study !

I'm not american and had no courses on american history but made 75% on the quizz... I'm astounded to discover the results of the common american students on theses matters which they did have to study !

As you no doubt noticed the answers, for the most part came down to just two choices as the others were eliminated by pure logic. I suppose that is the way with most tests. This might result in a 50% score. The final two choices required knowledge of the subject. The test was largely so, but could not be said to be wholly American in content. But indirectly it was in the sense you (as a European) may know about George Washington somewhat in the same vein I know about Karl Marx.

Your own relatively high score (not to discount high intelligence!) may reflect the degree to which the US is a nation of the world, cosmopolitan in nature, such that others feel connected to it and its history. Conversely many in the US don't share those feelings and knowledge, especially among those of college age because US history, as taught, has become largely a history of anti-heroes; it's always a history of: YES, BUT...... This ponderous distortion yields boredom in some, and dissidents in others.

I submit that American students have been convinced that their own country's history is not very important, it's wrong to feel proud of it and, having already discounted its importance, operate from opinion more than from learning.

My own missed Q's were: 5, 9, 18, 26, 31, 36, 39, 43, 53, 54, 58 and I am embarrassed about every single one of them. All should have been answered correctly, and might have been if I had consistently applied the rigor of the first rule I mentioned above, and if I had permitted my self to linger longer on each one, the correct answer might have been found. ( I hate tests! )

Faustus

You answered 49 out of 60 correctly