UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sonic

New Book on Belisarius soon out!

Hello everyone,

just thought I should point out that the new tome on Belisarius is finally available to pre-order on Amazon:

Belisarius.

I'm expecting everyone to buy a copy, and those who don't will get a visit from the Spanish Inquisition!! ;) (Unless they've got a note from their mum!! :):))

Hello everyone,

just thought I should point out that the new tome on Belisarius is finally available to pre-order on Amazon:

Belisarius.

I'm expecting everyone to buy a copy, and those who don't will get a visit from the Spanish Inquisition!! :blink: (Unless they've got a note from their mum!! :lol:;))

Is this coming to America? I couldn't find it on Amazon's US page.

Thanks for the enquiry!

I've asked the publishers about this, but am still awaiting a reply. When it comes, i'll let you know.

In the meantime, I found this: Belisarius US?. Is that what you were looking for?

Cheers!

Edited by sonic

Thanks for the enquiry!

I've asked the publishers about this, but am still awaiting a reply. When it comes, i'll let you know.

In the meantime, I found this: Belisarius US?. Is that what you were looking for?

Cheers!

Cool. Thanks a lot. I'm definitely interested in it.

Edited by DDickey

Thanks for the enquiry!

Cheers!

Thanks for the interest: I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the enquiry!

Cheers!

Isn't the American edition called Belisari US?

I'll get me coat. :unsure:

Thanks for the maps Ian!

Isn't the American edition called Belisari US?

I'll get me coat. :unsure:

Now That Is BAD!!! :ph34r: I demand a public apology!! :lol:

Thanks for the maps Ian!

You're welcome.

Hi all

Now that I've received the proof draft and know what is defintely going to be in it, I thought that I'd give a little more information about the book. It's a complete account of the life of Belisarius, using Procopius as the main source (obviously!) but using other sources to either complement or contradict his story. It also attempts to include up-to-date sources and opinions about the armies that he both used and fought against, although it should be noted that much of the evidence is fragmentary and open to interpretation.

I have analysed his African and Italian campaigns in some detail and sent in numerous maps and drawings to the editor in the hope that they would be included. Thankfully, my editor has now confirmed that it will contain 27 maps, 18 tactical battle diagrams, 15 other b/w line drawings and 33 plates in the plate section (including 6 specially-commissioned drawings of troop types). It is now possible to follow the course of his Italian campaign and understand what he was doing!

I have also found out where Narnia is!

On a final note, I know that some of my interpretations are going to be questioned by readers with an extensive background in the period. However, I would like to point out that none of the opinions expressed are included merely to cause controversy. They are all vital to the story and reflect my sincere opinions about Belisarius and his life.

Ian

Edited by sonic

To whom it may concern:

Belisarius is now out - I've received my copies - but the powers that be have decided to put the RRP at

looks good, especially with all those maps on the campaign, much talk about Narses in it?

A little, mainly concerning the Italian campaign (obviously!). However, there is no real attempt to discuss his life in any detail: it is, after all, a book about Belisarius. Maybe at some point I should look at the possibility of writing a history of Narses. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that we have enough information on him to make a separate book viable.

Congratulations, Sonic! Is this your first published book? I see that your publisher, Pen and Sword, puts out a lot of military history books! I'll be sure to purchase a copy of your book for my library!

-- Nephele

Congratulations, Sonic! Is this your first published book? I see that your publisher, Pen and Sword, puts out a lot of military history books! I'll be sure to purchase a copy of your book for my library!

-- Nephele

Yes, this is the first - and I'm extremely nervous about the reception it's going to get!

The good news for me is that I'm currently writing my second, but I'm not allowed to say any more by the publisher!!

I hope you enjoy the book (and thanks for buying it :))!

Edited by sonic

Is it available in Australia yet mate? If it is, I'll definitely buy a copy, as the history of the Later Eastern Roman Empire is my personal equal favourite time of Roman history (along with the late Republic/Early Principate)! I might even knock together a little review on it, for consideration by the powers that be on UNRV.

Edited by Tobias

Is it available in Australia yet mate? If it is, I'll definitely buy a copy, as the history of the Later Eastern Roman Empire is my personal equal favourite time of Roman history (along with the late Republic/Early Principate)! I might even knock together a little review on it, for consideration by the powers that be on UNRV.

I'm not sure about the situation in Australia. All I can suggest is having a quick search on the net or contacting a local bookshop. If it's not directly available, it then depends on whether you have to order from a British or American site (e.g. amazon.co.uk or amazon.com). I found this link that (allegedly) allows you to buy from either Amazon site: Possible Aus. link. Obviously, I don't know if it works!

If you can order from the UK, it's available now: if from the US, it's being published (again allegedly) on 10th April.

Hope that's of some help. If there are any problems, let me know and I'll get in touch with the publishers.