UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ludovicus

Articles of Impeachment read today in US Congress

Democratic Representative from Ohio Dennis Kucinich introduced 35 articles of impeachment today against President George W. Bush. Among them was:

"Article 1 - Creating a secret propaganda campaign to manufacture a false case for war against Iraq."

Additionally, Rep. Robert Wexler (D-FL) became the first member of Congress to co-sponsor Rep. Dennis Kucinich's resolution calling for President Bush's impeachment.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/...crat-files.html

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/11/kuc...=rss_topstories

In the opinion of many Americans, the representative's resolution was long overdue.

Edited by Ludovicus

In the opinion of many Americans, the representative's resolution was long overdue.

Perhaps, but since he's on the way out anyway, it's just election year political BS by our fine representatives.

Mind you, I did watch a tv prog last night about how US government sponsored individuals made an absolute fortune from the Iraq war by false accounting and other such dodgy means. For instance, borrowing iraqi airport forklifts, painting them blue, and charging the US government $20,000 a month lease each. Thats a little more than 100 times the industry rate!

I think the real 'Biggie' was fiddling the figures to steal the election first time round. Airlifting the Bin Laden family out of America hours after 911 must be up there too. I agree with PP though - this is election time BS. What a shame those fine polititians who have filed this didnt have the ourage to do it, or when the presidency was in mid-term. But they would then have lost their jobs, wouldnt they?

I believe 'Dubya' (he doesnt like that anymore, apparently) has far too many influential friends for this to have any impact. A bit like our own 'Teflon Tony' who has been just as bad.

Edited by Northern Neil

Perhaps, but since he's on the way out anyway, it's just election year political BS by our fine representatives.

Our "fine representatives" are never far removed from making political hay from current events. Given that the Democratic party bosses do not favor Bush's impeachment at this moment, I view Kininch's resolution in a different way. His is a move with a view toward history. It will be recorded that at least a few lawmakers, two at this point, did the right thing during a presidency whose goal was to dismember the US Constitution.

Our "fine representatives" are never far removed from making political hay from current events. Given that the Democratic party bosses do not favor Bush's impeachment at this moment, I view Kininch's resolution in a different way. His is a move with a view toward history. It will be recorded that at least a few lawmakers, two at this point, did the right thing during a presidency whose goal was to dismember the US Constitution.

I understand your viewpoint of it, but I'm hard pressed to believe that Kucinich is doing anything for the protection of the US Constitution or the people but rather for his own legacy. Had he truly been so concerned about the constitution, then there are great number of the government's long reaching tentacles that could be clipped including Kucinich's own healthy disregard for the 2nd Amendment. Regardless, this is something that if filed at all should have been done when it might have meant something.

(By the by, I have no great admiration for Bush. He's made many mistakes, the lack of fiscal responsibility, the misrepresentation of the reasons for the war in Iraq, keeping Rumsfeld around despite the situation in post-invasion Iraq, failure to secure or more importantly to fight vigorously for "energy independence" including the domestic production of oil, the Patriot Act, etc... but the impeachment initiative reeks of the sort of posturing that lacks a substantive effect.)

The legislative should keep it's hands away from the executive.

(By the by, I have no great admiration for Bush. He's made many mistakes, the lack of fiscal responsibility, the misrepresentation of the reasons for the war in Iraq, keeping Rumsfeld around despite the situation in post-invasion Iraq, failure to secure or more importantly to fight vigorously for "energy independence" including the domestic production of oil, the Patriot Act, etc... but the impeachment initiative reeks of the sort of posturing that lacks a substantive effect.)

Oh it has an effect alright...

While seeming to be a noble move to minions, the implied message for the future, in making policy impeachable is

Edited by Faustus

"An Iraq that's peaceful, united, stable, and secure, well integrated into the international community, and a full partner in the global war on terrorism."

I understand why the US wants Iraq "a full partner in the global war on terrorism" but I don't think that will change much.

What I don't understand it's why a "peaceful, united, stable, and secure, well integrated into the international community" Iraq should interest someone else other then Iraqis? While I see the goal of the US I fail to see their national interest in it.

"An Iraq that's peaceful, united, stable, and secure, well integrated into the international community, and a full partner in the global war on terrorism."

I understand why the US wants Iraq "a full partner in the global war on terrorism" but I don't think that will change much.

What I don't understand it's why a "peaceful, united, stable, and secure, well integrated into the international community" Iraq should interest someone else other then Iraqis? While I see the goal of the US I fail to see their national interest in it.

Consider the corollary:

What then would be the result of a country constantly torn by war, chaotic, splintered, unstable, insecure and subject to outside interventions from neighbors (Iran or Syria), operating largely apart from the International (N. Korea is an example) Community? We don

The US Constitution created three separate branches of government: the legislative, the executive, and the judicial. This concept is the foundation of the country's governing system. It is not only the right, but the duty of it each branch of government to critique and rein in the excesses of the other two. A resolution calling for the impeachment of the President is well within the rights and duties of the legislative branch of the USA. Whether it will receive the support of the rest of Congress is another matter.

Edited by Ludovicus

The US Constitution created three separate branches of government: the legislative, the executive, and the judicial. This concept is the foundation of the country's governing system. It is not only the right, but the duty of it each branch of government to critique and rein in the excesses of the other two. A resolution calling for the impeachment of the President is well within the rights and duties of the legislative branch of the USA. Whether it will receive the support of the rest of Congress is another matter.

I for one have absolutely no disagreement on that; and then the voting public will decide whether or not it was actually a political matter and take restitutive action. In my own estimation this will end up as a positive development for the Republican Party, and accrue negatively for the Democrat Party.

Furthermore, every action has an equal and opposite reaction: The D.s in congress should be careful that they don

Edited by Faustus

Airlifting the Bin Laden family out of America hours after 911 must be up there too.

Sorry to veer off course, here, but that is a myth.

Airlifting the Bin Laden family out of America hours after 911 must be up there too.

Sorry to veer off course, here, but that is a myth.

You are quite right about that DD. And thank you for the link for all to see.

But the Bin Laden family would've been cognizant of the possible developing situation and weren't hindered in their safe passage out of the country. It's not as if we should grab the family members of criminals or terrorists when there is little reason to suspect collusion. I suspect that if the situation was reversed, an American family would've been grabbed in, Saudi Arabia for instance, and contrarywise the same people who authored that scenario would've been outraged. In that case they would've been right.

Faustus

The legislative should not hold responsible the executive for executive decisions but for abuse of power.

Faustus, the Iraqi goverment does not have to be a democracy or a rogue state (good or bad) it can be a dictatorship like before etc.