UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ingsoc

Translation into English

depending on the language...."Silla"

:whistling: Silla means "chair" in Spanish, from latin sella, ae. And as "e" in some cases was pronounced like "i", your Silla (Sulla) would be confused for Silla (Sella), which for the analphabet plebe (and others) should be, at least, hilarious.

Salve, T.

We agree.

Anyhow, we're not talking about Spanish here, but Italian.

Here comes it.Wikipedia's Lucio Cornelio Silla.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

I was talking of latin, not spanish nor italian. About the spanish "silla" meaning chair was an anecdotic note ;) I know by far that in Italian the call him Silla, an in Spanish Sila, which is read the same btw.

I was talking of latin, not spanish nor italian. About the spanish "silla" meaning chair was an anecdotic note ;) I know by far that in Italian the call him Silla, an in Spanish Sila, which is read the same btw.

As far as I know, "silla" is no Latin word.

The French does. Sulla is called something really silly there, Zilla or Zylla -ish. I keep forgetting it.

We normally keep the names in Sweden.

That's because Swedish is not a Romance language. As Docta explained, "the Romance languages would naturally utilize the phonological changes on the proper Latin names just as they were applied to the rest of the lexicon". The Cornelian cognomen Sulla poses some particular problems, explained by a couple of historical-linguistic oddities.

Even if all contemporary Latin authors wrote Sulla , the main primary sources on the famous Happy Dictator, Appianus and Plutarchus, wrote both in Greek. Then, the first Latin vowel "u" was transliterated by the Hellenic upsilon ("Y"). There you get the Sylla used by some late Latin authors, like Orosius and Jordanes.

Now, when you re-transliterate "Y" back to Latin, you have two main alternatives; "i" and "u".

Spanish and related languages have the additional phonological circumstance that their double consonant "ll" is quite different from the original Latin usage. Actually, original latin "ll" sounds closer to their simple consonant "l".

Those are the reasons why, depending on the language, you may find "Sulla", "Sylla", "Silla", "Sula" or even "Sila".

Thanks for bringing light to the subject!

I was talking of latin, not spanish nor italian. About the spanish "silla" meaning chair was an anecdotic note :lol: I know by far that in Italian the call him Silla, an in Spanish Sila, which is read the same btw.

We know you know Latin but, did you really read what I wrote?? the Silla was an anecdotic note which I used to talk about the existing word in Latin "Sella" which then I used to explain the confusion it could bring to ancient latin speakers.... :blink: My post was focused on Sella, not Silla.

Men, I don't think it was that hard to understand...

Edited by Traianus

We know you know Latin but, did you really read what I wrote?? the Silla was an anecdotic note which I used to talk about the existing word in Latin "Sella" which then I used to explain the confusion it could bring to ancient latin speakers.... :blink: My post was focused on Sella, not Silla.

Men, I don't think it was that hard to understand...

Huh... sorry; now I get it.

:lol:

(at last!)

Edited by ASCLEPIADES