UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Two "stamped" Roman Military bricks

At the beginning of the 5th century, XIIII Gemina still stayed at Carnuntum. It probably dissolved with the collapse of the Danube frontier in 430s. The Notitia Dignitatum lists a Quartodecimani comitatensis unit under the Magister Militum per Thracias; it is possible that this unit [was] XIV Gemina.

Description: Below is shown the Military Brick manufactured by

Legion XIIII Gemini at Carnuntum, Circa 2nd-4th Century AD

legioxiiii42_42.gif

Description: Below is a fragment of a Roman military brick from Carnuntum. The first letters of the original TEMP*V(R?) punch stamp crisply preserved. This stamp is attributed to Ursicinus dux from Vindobona. The letters are set planta pedis style. A small label inscribed "Legionslager Carnuntum" is applied to one edge.

ursicinus42_43.gif

(Both of these bricks are being "offered" for about nine hundred dollars on the antiquities market; quantities are in the thousands.)

It's an interesting comment on Roman 'responsibility, accounting, and quality control' that virtually every brick was stamped while in the form.

BTW - I'd like to have one to muse over but it would end up as a 'door-stop'.

Edited by Faustus

Description: Below is shown the Military Brick manufactured by

Legion XIIII Gemini at Carnuntum, Circa 2nd-4th Century AD

Description: Below is a fragment of a Roman military brick from Carnuntum. The first letters of the original TEMP*V(R?) punch stamp crisply preserved. This stamp is attributed to Ursicinus dux from Vindobona. The letters are set planta pedis style. A small label inscribed "Legionslager Carnuntum" is applied to one edge.

Salve, F. Nice bricks.

The datation (for the first one) was relatively easy, as it's the same period Legio XIIII stayed at Carnuntum (from the end of Traianus' Dacian Wars to the collapse of the Danube border).

The second brick's inscription can be dated with a little more precision, because the title Dux was introduced at some point during the late III century after the reign of Galienus (260-268).

Probably Legio XIIII most famous deed was the successful proclamation of its commander Lucius Septimus Severus as Emperor (193).

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

In addition it would continue to provide a demand for antiquities in which profit, not archaeology, is the prime motivator. (Sorry to be a kill-joy, but the Roman fort at Lancaster, which I personally helped to excavate, was plundered by individuals whose prime motivation was to sell the resulting loot).

but yes, these are fine examples and I would like to know if these were produced into the 5th century, as I would like to see a comparison of styles. In Lancaster museum there is an example with a stamp and also a cat's footprint. Next to the cat's footprint is the print from a thrown stone!

Edited by Northern Neil

In addition it would continue to provide a demand for antiquities in which profit, not archaeology, is the prime motivator.

Noted NN

I did consider that fact, and agree with your assessment, but the quantity of brick the owner "dealer" has, in the many thousands, suggests they could find better homes than residing in cubes in warehouses.

Here's more:

VBI ERAT LVPA >Scherbentype >ImageBrowser >Wien (etc.)

General

Faustus