UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Primus Pilus

Ancient Sources

Just a small correction; that 17c translation of Pliny (it remains better, by the way, than the 20c Loeb translation, which is full of mistakes) is not on my site, merely housed on the same server. The site owner is James Eason.

BT

Just a small correction; that 17c translation of Pliny (it remains better, by the way, than the 20c Loeb translation, which is full of mistakes) is not on my site, merely housed on the same server. The site owner is James Eason.

BT

Welcome, Bill Thayer! It's so nice to have you join us here at UNRV! I hope you'll stick around!

-- Nephele

BT

Welcome, Bill Thayer! It's so nice to have you join us here at UNRV! I hope you'll stick around!

-- Nephele

Thanks for the correction to the reference Bill... rather than change it though, I just removed it. Not sure why I ever singled out that one link for such a notation anyway. I think people will figure out where they are once they click :D

[edit] By the by, I'd also be remiss to not thank you for hosting so many ancient source translations. Your site is and has been immensely helpful in many research projects and makes referencing in study or even in casual conversation a terrific convenience.

Does anybody know of a site containing De Incendio Urbis - a rather curious poem, often attributed to Lucan. An English translation would be preferred.

Does anybody know of a site containing De Incendio Urbis - a rather curious poem, often attributed to Lucan. An English translation would be preferred.

I believe this poem was lost, we may have a fragment of two lines from it however this is disputed.

The poem is not extant. It's known only by indirection, cited by Vacca and Statius but hardly a full text. Vacca does not appear to be online, and is himself quite shadowy, even his floruit is unknown (something like 6th-8th century, though): out of all his commentaries, some of which seem to have survived into the Middle Ages, only that one item, the Vita Lucani, remains today, and it's not so sure it's by him. But whoever wrote it, that's where to find the passage about Lucan's de Incendio, at any rate.

Statius of course is easier. The Latin is online at Latin Library

Edited by Bill Thayer

I actually got giddy when I saw that Bill Thayer posted here. Does that make me a huge nerd? Welcome Mr. Thayer!

I believe this poem was lost, we may have a fragment of two lines from it however this is disputed.

Those two lines are quoted by Edward Champlin in his Nero (SIC):

Dices culminibus Remi vagantis / infandos domini nocentis ignes

"The unspeakable flames of the criminal tyrant roamed the heights of Remus..."

Thank you — Must be contagious, I

Edited by Bill Thayer

More generally, maybe preceding the whole list, a link to the best collections might be posted: David Camden's ForumRomanum.Org for works written in Latin, and Peter Gainsford's LATO. Both include translations. Neither is currently being maintained, but ForumRomanum has worn much better than LATO since the most important Latin text collections have stayed put.

More generally, maybe preceding the whole list, a link to the best collections might be posted: David Camden's ForumRomanum.Org for works written in Latin, and Peter Gainsford's LATO. Both include translations. Neither is currently being maintained, but ForumRomanum has worn much better than LATO since the most important Latin text collections have stayed put.

And since Mr Thayler is too modest to mention it, the LaciusCurtius website which is one of the first places I send my students, and where I always go when starting to research a new topic, or simply for a rummage around on a quiet afternoon.

My deepest thanks, Sir!

And since Mr Thayler is too modest to mention it, the LaciusCurtius website which is one of the first places I send my students, and where I always go when starting to research a new topic, or simply for a rummage around on a quiet afternoon.

I actually dread to think what would happen if he ever re-arranged Lacus Curtius. I have so many deeply embedded links from this site to that one, it would be a disaster. (On this page for example http://www.unrv.com/government/legal-insti...chronology.php)