UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

My last vacation

What great pictures! Thanks for posting these!

That Grand Hotel looks a bit like the Overlook Hotel from Stephen King's The Shining. Niiiiice! And, I read that cars are outlawed on the island. What fun to really need a horse!

If I ever win the lottery, I'm buying one of those skillionaire's houses -- with a cupola!

You guys are a beautiful family!

-- Nephele

What great pictures! Thanks for posting these!

That Grand Hotel looks a bit like the Overlook Hotel from Stephen King's The Shining. Niiiiice! And, I read that cars are outlawed on the island. What fun to really need a horse!

Bicycles are actually the primary mode of transportation... well, that and good old fashioned walking. The hills can be a bit rough for those not inclined to physical activity though. The kids were fairly worn out after walking several miles of trails (much of it splitting time on dad's shoulders). What I enjoy most about the island is that there are plenty of people in the downtown strip, but the park areas are great for solitude and a sense of adventure.

You guys are a beautiful family!

Aww shucks :lol:

Our family trip to Mackinac Island, Michigan (and surrounding area) though the pictures selected are only of the island. Comments by my wife.

Just a small sampling of photos, but she didn't want to crash her site. :lol:

http://www.bellarepaints.com/Mackinac.htm

Beautiful family, beautiful horses, and beautiful scenery! It looks very relaxing and inviting there. especially in the heat of a midwestern summer.

I want to live there!! Some of those houses are great.

Interestingly enough, most of the summer tourist season the island has traditionally been serviced largely by foreign hospitality workers. Folks from all over the world come to work in the various hotels and restaurants, handling the horses, etc. I believe most are housed in some rather non-descript barrack looking buildings rather than the more spectacular homes and hotels we took pictures of. Some of these people have been working the summer season for decades, but unfortunately, recent immigration reforms are going to make the practice more difficult in the future. What's worse, local unemployed either don't want to spend the summer on the island, would rather stay on the government dole than accept low wage hospitality work, or perhaps don't want to risk losing a more lucrative opportunity after making the move to Mackinac. Whatever the reason, places like Mackinac Island are scrambling to find people who are willing to work. For the most part, it seems that they are exchanging seasonal workers with establishments in places like Arizona who have a tourist season that is heavier in the cooler non summer months. It seems to be doing the trick for staffing, but the restaurateurs and hoteliers are complaining that they have lost established staff that knew their jobs and were known to their clientele while giving the entire place a sense of the exotic.