UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Northern Neil

Tunguska Event, 100th anniversary

Replicability is one of the main bases for scientific knowledge (ie, if we replicate the critical conditions, the resultant phenomenon predictably happens). Conversely, its absence must be considered a caveat for any scientific hypothesis.

Thanks for the summary, and the caveat.

Here's some frequency information on stony meteorites of T(unguska)-sized objects and smaller:

At tunguska, it was reported that trees were left standing and stripped of branches at the epicenter, consistent with an airblast, not an impact. A solid object colliding with the earth will leave a crater, an object exploding in the atmosphere will not, although as demonstrated it will project a devastating shockwave.

As for conservatism in scientific circles, thats only for those scientists with vested interests in keeping quiet. Many scientists these days offer incredible theories, some clever, some half-baked, but not so conservative as once considered polite and proper.

At tunguska, it was reported that trees were left standing and stripped of branches at the epicenter,

Salve, C.

060203tunguska2kv6.jpg

From Kulik's expedition, 1927

Anyhow, I still think the airblast from an ice meteorite (comet core?) is the best explanation.

I have considered a couple of potential objections in previous posts.

At tunguska, it was reported that trees were left standing and stripped of branches at the epicenter,

Anyhow, I still think the airblast from an ice meteorite (comet core?) is the best explanation.

I have considered a couple of potential objections in previous posts.

I for one lean more so toward the icy body because the amount of matter involved could more easily be obliterated leaving behind no detectable physical remnants; Ice to water vapor in an explosive blast of steam, and a dust layer with interstices, vaporized(?) and scattered. It is difficult for me to account for a massive rocky body 60 feet (tens of meters) in diameter being totally gone without a physical trace: a flaming fireball in one instance and totally annihilated in the next, without even the standard signature of iridium. A vaporized rocky meteorite should

Edited by Faustus

* Green Libyan Desert Glass (Mysterious Glass in the Egyptian Sahara) ~ scroll down for the substance

Salve F et gratiam habeo for such extensive information and that Link.

Greyfalcon.us seems to have some intereting data, but I think that the selection criteria for their posted information are unfortunately not stringent enough for most practical purposes.

About the Green Lybian Desert Glass, being totally ignorant on this issue, I think this site and here too may have some nice basic information on tektites.

With all due respect, I think it would be quite beneficial for a curiosity as highly developed as yours a more intimate contact with the basics of the scientific method, for example HERE.

A layer of green glass can only mean one thing - intense heat. Thats been used by Von Danikens acolytes as evidence of nuclear weapons in prehistoric times, since such a phenomenon was found at Los Alamos when US nukes were tested. However, any source of intense heat will produce something similar in sandy terrain. Forest fires? Not really hot enough I would have said - please prove me wrong - so we are looking at an extraterrestrial cause, something like that you might expect from a large impact.

With all due respect, I think it would be quite beneficial for a curiosity as highly developed as yours a more intimate contact with the basics of the scientific method, for example HERE.

Thanks A.

Thanks for your interest in my scientific foundation. It does need some shoring up.

As an amateur astronomer of 50 plus years, and a follower of all reports scientific,my understanding of the

Edited by Faustus

I think this site and here too may have some nice basic information on tektites.

Salve, A, and in return you also have my thanks for the latest information on tektites, and some strewn fields (some are missing I think) , and also the link to scientific thinking/scientific method, all of which I can benefit from.

BTW Years back I subscribed to catalogues of new meteorite finds available for purchase (never bought any) , and I can look again at that possibility, at seemingly very low prices.

Faustus