UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
caton

cambridge ancient history

Volume X 'The Augustan Empire' sits on my shelves to this day (I bought it in 1982 at a grand price of

Edited by The Augusta

That's pretty cool! The whole set should be available like that.

Over the eons, by searching the dim, dusty basements of used bookstores in Washington DC and various university towns I managed to collect volumes VII, VIII, IX and XII of the 1951, 1954 and 1971 editions for $45 - $75 each. Today, with the internet etc you can't find bargains like that anymore - even an old edition will cost over $100. And there is a new edition coming out now with a price tag over $200 per volume.

The chapters in these old editions are by people like Last, Holleaux, Tenney Frank, Rostovstieff, Adcock, Tarn and other luminaries of the last age and are now somewhat dated. The CAH is still the first place to look though.

My various copies of the CAH have seen some hard use over the years - not least because they are solid clunking books which my wife constantly nicks as when she needs to weigh down a tablecloth at a picnic or something similar. sometimes I find that the CAH is the only book which gives a detailed coherent history of a period. Whist many of the opinions are out of date, the basic facts are solid, and need supplementing only with a check (I use JSTOR) to ensure that epigraphy and archaeology have not turned up something new. As for the opinons of the writer - I like to form my own anyway!

As others have commented, getting up to date copies costs the earth - these days I only get a copy if I'm going to be working intensively on that period, and even then I sometimes settle for an older edition, and spend the savings on several supplementary books.

The volume IX (The Last Age of the Roman Republic) that's a great book, but don't you miss a chapter about slavery and the slave's uprising?

Hey, Ive looked through the 19 volumes online (The Synopsis) and im unable to find any on romano - britain or contains any, im willing to pay around

Edited by Chris08

Hey, Ive looked through the 19 volumes online (The Synopsis) and im unable to find any on romano - britain or contains any, im willing to pay around

Ahh i see, thanks for that. im concidering just buying all 19 volumes a 1900. Thanks anyway mate, got any books other than the cambridge ancient history you can reccomend?

Ahh i see, thanks for that. im concidering just buying all 19 volumes a 1900. Thanks anyway mate, got any books other than the cambridge ancient history you can reccomend?

Romano-Britain can mean simply Roman Britain (in which case I'll assume you've considered Salway's work - either in the illustrated version or in the British history series), but many associate this name particularly with the period between the end of direct Roman rule and when the place went to hell in a handcart in the dark ages. If the latter, you will find a massive bibliography at http://www.fectio.org.uk/bibliogrromam.htm . It's well worth a look.